Malaysia

Govt, NFC to settle RM253.6 mil suit, failing which trial resumes

Parties to inform court on status of settlement on May 17

Updated 4 years ago · Published on 25 Jan 2022 4:23PM

Govt, NFC to settle RM253.6 mil suit, failing which trial resumes
Datuk Mohamad Salleh Ismail, the husband of Tan Sri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil who was named the second defendant was to testify today when the trial was postponed following NFC’s request to settle the suit. – AFP pic, January 25, 2022

KUALA LUMPUR – The high court today set May 17 to resume trial of a suit by the Malaysian government to recover RM253.6 million in loan payments and interests from National Feedlot Corporation (NFC) should parties involved fail to reach a settlement.

Senior federal counsel Nurhafizza Azizan, representing the government, when met by reporters, said the court had set today to resume the trial before judicial commissioner Anand Ponnudurai.

“However, today’s trial was postponed following NFC’s request to settle the suit. The parties will inform the court on the status of the settlement of the case on May 17. If no settlement is reached, the case will continue with the trial on that day,” he said, adding that the defendants had presented five witnesses in the suit.

The trial had commenced on January 13, last year and the plaintiff had closed their case on March 17 after calling seven witnesses to testify.

NFC is managed by the husband and three children of former women, family and community development minister Tan Sri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil.

Today, Shahrizat’s husband, Datuk Mohamad Salleh Ismail, who was named the second defendant was supposed to testify.

In its claim, the government as the sole plaintiff, named the NFC as the first defendant. The other defendants were Wan Shahinur Izran, Wan Shahinur Izmir and Wan Izzana Fatimah Zabedah.

Other defendants are six companies controlled by Salleh’s family, comprising National Meat & Livestock Corporation Sdn Bhd, Real Food Corporation Sdn Bhd, Meatworks Corporation Sdn  Bhd, Agroscience Industries Sdn Bhd, Asian Bioscience Corporation Sdn Bhd, and Techknowlogy Imageware (M) Sdn Bhd.

The government claims that it had signed a loan agreement totalling RM250 million with NFC on December 6, 2007, to finance the costs of establishing and operating a National Feedlot Centre in Gemas as part of its policy to develop and increase beef production.

The loan was disbursed in three separate tranches and Salleh’s family had made 10 withdrawals amounting to RM180.51 million from January 24, 2008, to January 3, 2011.

Of the RM180.51 million withdrawn, only RM8.32 million was paid directly to third parties to conduct the National Feedlot Centre project. The balance of the withdrawn funds was transferred to other NFC accounts and a total of RM118.04 million from this balance was allegedly misused.

The plaintiff claims that a total of RM9.76 million was misused, allegedly to purchase one of two units at One Menerung Residence. This was allegedly conducted by the sixth defendant, the National Meat & Livestock Corp.

The government also claims that a total of RM300,000 was used to make payment to an individual for an undisclosed purpose and an additional RM1.8 million was paid to the same individual.

Mohamad Salleh’s family also allegedly used the loan by the government to settle monthly rental amounting to RM28,000 for an office lot at Solaris Mont Kiara.

Other alleged expenditure made with the loan includes the purchase of two plots of land in Putrajaya, payment to two legal firms and the purchase of a four-storey shop house in Solaris Mont Kiara. – Bernama, January 25, 2022

Related News

Malaysia / 2w

Court quashes RM313.8 million tax bill against Na’imah

Malaysia / 1mth

High Court court allows contempt proceedings against Undangs, two others

Malaysia / 1mth

'No case to answer' in suit against Vinod Sekhar

Malaysia / 3mth

Shamsul Iskandar files appeal to transfer corruption case to high court

Malaysia / 4mth

Najib, Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad reach amicable settlement over RM5m defamation suit

Malaysia / 4mth

Yayasan Kubra successfully sets aside Selayang Magistrate's Court order, plans to build long-delayed asnaf houses

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia

Factory clerk loses RM101,000 in fake online job scam

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

Man, woman claim trial to animal cruelty against dog named Rocky (Updated)

Malaysia

PMX responds to student's invitation to 'Uncle Anwar'

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level