Malaysia

496 flood victims in Melaka, Kedah records 8

100 Melaka victims from 29 families in Ayer Molek PPS

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 22 Nov 2020 10:50PM

496 flood victims in Melaka, Kedah records 8

MELAKA – The number of flood victims in Melaka increased to 496 people as of 8pm tonight compared with 474 people at 4pm.

According to the Welfare Department's infoBencana app, the increase in flood victims was recorded at the temporary relief centre (PPS) SK Ayer Molek in Melaka Tengah and SK Durian Tunggal, Alor Gajah.

The Ayer Molek PPS previously housed 93 victims from 16 families, which increased to 100 victims from 29 families, while SK Durian Tunggal PPS was occupied by 71 victims from 15 families compared with 56 victims from 13 families this afternoon.

Meanwhile, in Jasin, the number of flood victims remained the same, with SK Tehel accommodating 125 victims (30 families), SJKC Shuh Yen involving 61 victims (16 families) and SMK Bukit Katil housing 122 victims (52 families).

A total of six PPS' have been opened in three districts in the state since floods began on Friday.

In Alor Star, eight victims from two families in Kg Changkat Setol, Changlun near Kubang Pasu have been placed at a PPS after their homes were flooded since early this morning.

Kubang Pasu District Disaster Management Committee secretariat Lieutenant Norazian Shamsudin said as of 4pm today, all the victims were still housed at the Al-Ihsan Mosque centre in Kg Changkat Setol.

"Heavy rain since 8.30pm yesterday caused several low-lying areas in Changlun to flood. At 1.30am this morning, the water started to rise, prompting two families, who were also the first victims, to be evacuated to a PPS in this state.

"All the victims were evacuated by members of the Fire and Rescue Department at 4am today," he said in a statement today.

He said the Civil Defence Force (APM) is working with the Welfare Department and other agencies to channel assistance needed by flood victims. – Bernama, November 22, 2020

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Three jewellery shop robberies in five days sparks concern

Malaysia

PMX responds to student's invitation to 'Uncle Anwar'

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes