Malaysia

Ku Nan graft trial vacated over CMCO, resumes Dec 7

Former FT minister accused of receiving RM1 million from businessman

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Nov 2020 1:57PM

Ku Nan graft trial vacated over CMCO, resumes Dec 7
Former Federal Territories minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor applied to have the judge in his RM1 million graft trial recused over possible bias. – Bernama pic, November 23, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – The RM1 million corruption trial of former Federal Territories minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor will continue on December 7 before high court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali.

Deputy High Court Registrar Mahyuddin Mohmad Som said the trial, which was set to resume today, has been vacated due to the conditional movement control order (CMCO) being extended from to December 6.

“The court has vacated the dates, which was set earlier due to the CMCO. However, the court is maintaining the dates in December and set December 7 to 10 and December 14 until 16 to continue the trial,” he said, adding the court had informed the parties on the matter via an email on November 13.

The 69-year-old Putrajaya MP is charged with corruptly receiving RM1 million from businessman Datuk Tan Eng Boon, who had pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of abetting the politician and was fined RM1.5 million.

The money was deposited into Tengku Adnan’s CIMB Bank account as an inducement to assist an application by Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd to increase the company’s plot ratio in regard to a development project on Lot 228, Jalan Semarak, Kuala Lumpur.

Tengku Adnan also faces an alternative charge, in his capacity as then Federal Territories minister, of receiving for himself RM1 million from Tan via a Public Bank cheque belonging to Pekan Nenas Industries Sdn Bhd, which was deposited into his CIMB account, knowing that Tan, as a director of Nucleus Properties, had connections with his official duties.

The trial before Nazlan began on September 20 last year, with the prosecution calling two witnesses to testify.

However, Tengku Adnan had also filed an application to recuse Nazlan from hearing the case on grounds that the judge has read and considered the facts of Tan's case.

Nazlan dismissed Tengku Adnan's application, prompting him to file an appeal with the Court of Appeal.

The Court of Appeal had, in February this year, ruled in favour of Tengku Adnan and ordered the trial be heard before another judge on grounds that Nazlan might be biased.

On July 17, this year, a three-member bench of the Federal Court reversed the Court of Appeal order for Nazlan's recusal. The case was, therefore, remitted back before Nazlan.

Tengku Adnan was also charged with having received for himself RM2 million from Aset Kayamas Sdn Bhd director Tan Sri Chai Kin Kong. With the trial before high court judge Mohamed Zaini Mazlan completed, the court fixed December 21 for its decision. – Bernama, November 23, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2d

Rockys death: No gatherings as Shah, Roghini arrive at Klang court

Malaysia / 3d

Just accept the court decision – Ramkarpal tells Sanusi

Malaysia / 5d

Body found bound in net: Four charged with murder

Malaysia / 1w

Datuk Seri charged with embezzlement of company funds exceeding RM37 million

Malaysia / 1w

Rosmah granted conditional stay on RM67.5m jewellery payment

Malaysia / 1w

While the focus is on condemning the Madani government, a coup d'état is in process

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Malaysia records 6% GDP growth in Q2 despite global headwinds, says Sim

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Five, including a 'Datuk' detained over alleged abuse of power in Penang land sale

Malaysia

Teacher, six-year-old child killed as MPV skids, lands in ravine

Malaysia

Sarawak haze crisis deepens as Serian air pollution hits very unhealthy level

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid