Malaysia

Reducing development allocation may halt ongoing projects: Tok Pa

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 23 Nov 2020 4:29PM

Reducing development allocation may halt ongoing projects: Tok Pa
Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed says a stop to ongoing development projects may leave 100,000 construction contractors out of work. – November 23, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – If the proposed RM69 billion development allocation for 2021 were to be reduced with a portion redirected to the Covid-19 fund, it will greatly impact projects already in the works, said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.

Mustapa said the Covid-19 situation is dynamic and changes daily, thus, if there is a major need or pressing matter, the government will give it the necessary consideration.

He was speaking when winding up the debate on the Supply Bill 2021 in the Dewan Rakyat today.

Mustapa said the development allocation comprises four components, including for projects based on the government's national development strategies, such as the New Economic Policy and Shared Prosperity Vision.

"Secondly, part of the expenditure was previously allocated under government administration for certain considerations, but (the current government) has decided to park it under development,” he said.

The last two components are projects under public-private partnership and projects to revive institutions such as Felda, Tabung Haji and 1Malaysia Development Bhd.

“A major portion of the allocation is for continuing projects begun under the 11th Malaysia Plan. Now, we are coming to the 12th Malaysia Plan and the infrastructure has been built, so it's not right to halt these projects.

"So, the implication is that, if we were to follow the suggestions of the MPs for Port Dickson and Subang, we may have to halt the ongoing projects,” he said.

He said there are more than 100,000 construction contractors, and the number of G1 class of contractors alone exceeds 50,000.

“If we were to stop these projects, contractors will have no work and the country will not have development. That is the risk if we consider the recommendations from the Port Dickson and Subang MPs,” Mustapa said. – Bernama, November 23, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 3y

[UPDATED] GE15: Mustapa Mohamed says will not defend Jeli seat

Malaysia / 3y

Budget 2023: 7,615 development projects will be implemented next year, says Tok Pa

Malaysia / 3y

Anti-poverty scheme aiding 459 Orang Asli households, says Tok Pa

Business / 3y

Local experts can help manage economy, no need for foreigners: Tok Pa

Malaysia / 3y

Phase 2 of hardcore poverty eradication scheme to start mid-Oct: Tok Pa

Malaysia / 3y

Budget 2023 to focus on post-pandemic economic recovery: Mustapa

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss

Malaysia

Pahang Sultan stops convoy to aid seriously injured crash victims in Sarawak

Malaysia

Police question Hadi Awang over article he wrote

Malaysia

Fahmi: Malaysia’s one-China policy on Taiwan remains unchanged

Malaysia

Malaysia escalates haze concerns to Indonesia as Sarawak air quality worsens

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre