Malaysia

No NSC order for closure of Meru night market: Ismail Sabri

EMCO only covers Top Glove workers' housing, says minister

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 30 Nov 2020 10:33PM

No NSC order for closure of Meru night market: Ismail Sabri
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob says that economic activities are allowed in areas that do not come under the enhanced movement control order but remain subject to the tight standard operating procedures of the MCO. – The Vibes file pic, November 30, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – The National Security Council (NSC) did not order the closure of the night market in Meru, Klang in view of the Covid-19 pandemic, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said today.

The enhanced movement control order (EMCO) only covers the workers’ hostel of Top Glove in Klang, he said when responding to a question on the local authority having ordered the closure of the night market. 

The EMCO there has been extended to December 14.

“The EMCO is only enforced on the men’s and women’s hostels, as well as the row of rented houses occupied by workers of the company. Other areas have not been declared EMCO zones,” he told the press conference on the recovery movement control order update here.

Ismail Sabri said, however, that he will discuss the matter further with the Selangor government and the NSC.

He also said that economic activities are allowed in areas that do not come under the EMCO but remain subject to the tight standard operating procedures of the MCO.

Ismail Sabri said business premises, including night and day markets, also have to be monitored by People’s Volunteer Corps personnel to ensure that patrons record their details and have their body temperature taken.

“Up to now, economic activities, including markets, can operate on condition that Rela personnel are there. Any decision on their closure is subject to a Covid-19 infection risk assessment by the Health Ministry,” he said.

Replying to another question, Ismail Sabri gave the assurance that there will be an announcement on Friday whether the ongoing conditional movement control order in several states will be declared ended or extended.

“Usually, several days before the CMCO ends, the Health Ministry will advise the NSC special meeting, and I will make an announcement on Friday after the meeting,” he said.

The government had announced the enforcement of the CMCO for four weeks from November 9 to December 6, in the whole country except Perlis, Pahang, Kelantan, and Sarawak.

The CMCO in Kedah, Melaka, Johor and Terengganu was declared ended earlier on November 21, following a steady decline in the number of Covid-19 positive cases there. – Bernama, November 30, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2y

Court frees blogger of offensive video charge

Malaysia / 2y

Lokman Adam’s trial for remarks against Ismail Sabri to begin on Oct 9

Malaysia / 2y

Dust yourself off, work hard to woo public, Umno leaders urge Youth

Sports & Fitness / 3y

Sports can’t rely on ad hoc plans: Hannah on previous govt’s drag track idea

Malaysia / 3y

Lokman Adam’s trial on offensive Facebook posts to begin in Sept

Sports & Fitness / 3y

Drag racing circuits: govt should proceed with construction, says Ismail Sabri

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

BN puts ‘benefit versus harm’ at heart of Melaka election alliance talks

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Woman killed by collapsing iron pole after car crashes into Kajang food court

Malaysia

Malaysia warns global firms over Israeli E1 settlement tender threatening Palestinian statehood

Malaysia

Govt agency chairman, four others remanded 4 days over alleged RM1.96m Penang land loss

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion

Malaysia

Anwar: Felda’s RM2.5b Eagle High Investment could shrink to RM200m

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar