Malaysia

Facebook looks into post with Dr Mahathir’s remarks on France violence

Case is 1 of 6 it has selected for review following the opening of user appeals in October

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 02 Dec 2020 1:55PM

Facebook looks into post with Dr Mahathir’s remarks on France violence
Facebook removed Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's post on terrorist attacks in France for violating its policy on hate speech. – The Vibes file pic, December 2, 2020

KUALA LUMPUR – Facebook’s oversight board will today be taking aim at a user’s post attached with screenshots of former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s remarks on the terrorist attacks in France in October.

Earlier, the post was removed after it was found to be in “violation of the site’s policies”.

The Facebook panel said the case is one of six it has selected for review from more than 20,000 cases it received following the opening of user appeals in October.

In this case, the board said a user had posted a screenshot of two tweets by Dr Mahathir, but did not add a caption alongside the screenshots. Facebook subsequently removed the post for violating its policy on hate speech.

“As the board cannot hear every appeal, we are prioritising cases that have the potential to affect lots of users around the world, are of critical importance to public discourse or raise important questions about Facebook’s policies.

“The user indicated in their appeal to the oversight board that they wanted to raise awareness of the former prime minister’s horrible words,” it said.

Following the attack in Nice, France, Dr Mahathir had tweeted: “Muslims have a right to be angry and kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.”

The October incident saw three people stabbed to death and several others injured, with the perpetrator believed to be motivated by anger at the publishing of derogatory caricatures of Prophet Muhammad.

After publishing his post, Dr Mahathir had said reports on his remarks had been misrepresented to portray him as encouraging violence.

Another case Facebook is looking into is a post of a deceased child lying fully clothed on a beach at the water's edge, asking why there is no retaliation against China for its treatment of Uighur Muslims, in contrast to the recent killings in France related to cartoons.

The third hate speech case involves a user's post of alleged historical photos showing churches in Baku, Azerbaijan, with accompanying text stating that Baku was built by Armenians and asking where the churches have gone. – The Vibes, December 2, 2020

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Off beat / 7mth

RM5 parking fee suddenly 'jumps' to RM1,469 as man is about to tap card

Malaysia / 9mth

Cambodians flood PM Anwar’s Facebook with messages of gratitude for peace effort

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

Child safety a priority in facing the increasingly worrying haze threat

Malaysia

Plans underway to set up financial hub on Pulau Jerejak

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Malaysia warns global firms over Israeli E1 settlement tender threatening Palestinian statehood

Malaysia

‘Why hasn’t my husband come to see me?’: Woman unaware family died in crash

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Penang is first state to enforce private homestay law

Malaysia

Nearly 100,000 scam posts removed as Govt steps up online fraud fight

Malaysia

PH, BN weigh Melaka election pact as Amirudin moves to open talks with Anwar