Malaysia

Protests mount over PKNS’ development plans for Bukit Cherakah forest reserve

NGOs seek to prevent risk of destruction due to mixed housing project through court appeal

Updated 3 years ago · Published on 26 Feb 2023 10:13AM

Protests mount over PKNS’ development plans for Bukit Cherakah forest reserve
The Green Party has criticised the Selangor government over its plans to develop 87ha of the Bukit Cherakah forest reserve in Shah Alam and warned that the state government’s indifference to public protests could lead to the rejection Pakatan Harapan during the upcoming state election. – Dwayne Foong Facebook pic, February 26, 2023

KUALA LUMPUR – The Green Party (PHM) has expressed its disappointment with the Pakatan Harapan-led Selangor government and warned of electoral repercussions following the Selangor State Development Corporation’s (PKNS) plans to develop 87ha of the Bukit Cherakah forest reserve in Shah Alam.

In a statement, today, PHM’s secretary Abdul Razak Ismail said their concerns were based on reports that PKNS’ plans to develop a mixed housing development comprising of shop lots and a commercial business centre known as Bandar Sierra Alam, which are being protested by two non-governmental organisations (NGOs) namely Association for the Protection of Natural Heritage of Malaysia (Peka) and Shah Alam Community Forest (SACF).

Both NGOs, he said, have been conducting recreational activities including hiking in the forest reserve which has been publicised by the local media since last year.

Razak said both Peka and SACF have since filed for a judicial review against the Selangor government for the alleged “backdating” of the degazetting of the forest reserve, which was reported to have been approved by the previous administration under former menteri besar Khir Toyo in 2000 (23 years ago) and had quietly gazetted 406ha the forest reserve on May 5, last year.

“However, in November last year, the Shah Alam high court had dismissed the application for leave by Peka and SACF against the Selangor government and several other defendants.”

“The lawyers for the plaintiffs, Messrs Raj and Sach, will be filing a stay application pending the appeal at the Court of Appeal in Putrajaya tomorrow to prevent the project from continuing and avoid damage at the forest reserve.

“PHM would like to remind the Selangor menteri besar, who is also PKNS chairman, last year, had ordered PKNS to stop any earthworks at the forest, in addition to the plaintiff having now filed an application for the case to be heard at the Court of Appeal, Putrajaya.

“At the same time, SACF has launched a petition among its 16,000 Facebook members and has managed to collect over 105,000 signatures from the public protesting the destruction of their community and recreational forest,” he said.

PHM, he said, warned that the state government’s indifference to public protests, especially the local community living close to the forest reserve, who are also voters in the Kota Anggerik state seat could lead to the rejection of the PH candidate as a sign of protest during the upcoming state election. – The Vibes, February 26, 2023

Related News

Business / 3y

At least 10 enterprises should break into global markets this year: PKNS

Malaysia / 3y

Bukit Cherakah: court allows interim stay order extension

Malaysia / 3y

Bukit Cherakah: S’gor to carry out degazettement to avoid legal action

Business / 4y

PKNS to build one-stop centre for entrepreneurs, more healthcare facilities 

Malaysia / 4y

Court rejects S’gor govt’s Bukit Cherakah degazettement plan

Opinion / 4y

Immediately revoke Bukit Cherakah Forest Reserve degazettement – 53 CSOs

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

Malaysia

Anwar, Pakistan PM call for dialogue as regional tensions rise

Malaysia

Malaysia-Brunei to discuss regional haze, border security at Annual Leaders’ Consultation

Malaysia

PM Anwar receives royal honour from Brunei Sultan

Malaysia

Abdul Hadi escalates PAS-DAP row, says four Malay DAP leaders ‘have not studied’

Malaysia

Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam raid cleared and repatriated

Malaysia

Armed gang escapes with RM500,000 in jewellery after five-minute Kuantan raid

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

Malaysia

Modified Toyota Camry lands woman in hot water over alleged subsidised petrol diversion