World

Virus-stricken Macron ‘slowed down’ by Covid

French president working in self-isolation from an official residence outside Paris

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Dec 2020 8:00AM

Virus-stricken Macron ‘slowed down’ by Covid
Commentators and politicians have praised the Elysee for rapidly communicating French President Emmanuel Macron's test result but are also urging transparency over his condition. – AFP pic, December 19, 2020

PARIS – French President Emmanuel Macron yesterday acknowledged he had been "slowed down" by his Covid-19 infection but insisted he was doing well, as the country's coronavirus death toll topped 60,000.

Macron is working in self-isolation from an official residence outside Paris after he tested positive for Covid-19 on Thursday in a result that caused alarm across Europe.

"I am doing well. I have the same symptoms as yesterday: tiredness, headaches, dry cough. Like hundreds of thousands of others of you," Macron said in a video message posted on his Twitter account that he appeared to have recorded himself with a phone.

"My activity is a little slowed down due to the virus. But I am continuing to take care of the priority issues like the epidemic or, for example, Brexit," he said.

Later yesterday, France's public health agency reported that the number of deaths in the country caused by the new coronavirus had topped 60,000.

Health authorities in France have voiced concern about a "worrying" resurgence in the virus ahead of the Christmas and New Year holidays.

"We are really seeing an increase in the spread of the virus," said Sophie Vaux, an epidemiologist at the health agency.

Yesterday, the agency announced that the toll figure throughout the country had reached 60,229 people since the global pandemic began a year ago.

'Be back soon' 

On Thursday, Macron left the Elysee Palace in Paris for the presidential residence of La Lanterne in Versailles outside the city, a presidential official said.

His wife, Brigitte, who has tested negative, will remain at the Elysee.

The president said he will "be back soon" and added there is "no reason to believe this will develop badly", while adding he is under medical supervision.

Macron's infection has also come at a key moment in talks between Britain and the EU to find a trade deal after Brexit with the clock ticking down to the end of the year when London will leave the single market.

The announcement on Thursday that Macron was infected with the virus upended political schedules in France and across Europe, with EU leaders and French officials he had met in the last days cancelling events and rushing into self-isolation.

It is not clear where Macron contracted the virus, although presidential sources have said he may have picked it up while attending an EU summit in Brussels late last week where leaders had 20 hours of non-stop negotiation. 

Adding to concern over possible infections at the summit, Slovak Prime Minister Igor Matovic said yesterday he had tested positive for Covid-19 after attending the EU Council.

On Monday, Macron addressed a conference in Paris organised by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) attended by European Council president Charles Michel and Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, who are both now isolating.

And on Wednesday, he attended a dinner at the Elysee – which was not in his official schedule – with a dozen political allies, including Prime Minister Jean Castex, who is now also self-isolating.

'Carelessness or bad luck' 

There have been questions about the dinner as the numbers present exceeded the maximum of six recommended by the government.

Officials have insisted that those present sat at a table large enough to ensure proper social distancing.

Macron's infection has also underlined the continued perils of Covid-19 in France as the Christmas holidays get underway, with more than 18,000 new infections recorded yesterday alone.

"I have a message for all of you. Continue to take care of yourselves. The virus can hit anyone. I was well protected and very careful," he said in his message.

"Despite everything, I got the virus. Perhaps it was a moment of carelessness but also, maybe bad luck," he said. 

Commentators and politicians have praised the Elysee for rapidly communicating Macron's test result but have also urged transparency over his condition, with none of the secrecy sometimes seen when his predecessors Francois Mitterrand and Jacques Chirac had health problems in office. – AFP, December 19, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation