World

France charges 4 over attack on former Charlie Hebdo offices

Four male suspects were in contact with meat cleaver attacker

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 19 Dec 2020 11:00AM

France charges 4 over attack on former Charlie Hebdo offices
News of the charges comes two days after a Paris court convicted 13 accomplices of the jihadist gunmen who massacred Charlie Hebdo staff in January 2015. – Wikipedia pic, December 19, 2020

PARIS – French authorities have charged and detained four Pakistanis suspected of links to a meat cleaver attack by a compatriot outside the former offices of the Charlie Hebdo weekly that wounded two people, the national counter-terrorism prosecutor's office said yesterday.

The four male suspects, aged 17 to 21, were in contact with the attacker, said a source familiar with the case.

They are suspected of being aware of the attacker's plot and inciting him to carry it out, according to another judicial source close to the investigation.

Three of them were charged yesterday with taking part in a terrorist conspiracy and placed in pre-trial detention. The fourth had already been charged on Wednesday.

Two were arrested in the southwest Gironde department, a third in the northern port city of Caen and the last in the Paris region.

"They share his ideology and one of them expressed his hatred of France a few days before the action," said one of the sources.

News of the charges comes two days after a Paris court convicted 13 accomplices of the jihadist gunmen who massacred Charlie Hebdo staff in January 2015.

To mark the start of that trial in early September, the magazine had in typically provocative style reprinted cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Three weeks later, a Pakistani man wounded two people outside the weekly's former offices, hacking at them with a cleaver.

The assailant, named as Zaheer Hassan Mahmoud, 25, was arrested after September's attack on terror charges and remains in custody.

He told investigators that prior to the attack he had watched "videos from Pakistan" concerning the satirical magazine's decision to republish the cartoons.

On October 16, a young Chechen refugee beheaded teacher Samuel Paty, who had shown some of the caricatures to his pupils.

Less than two weeks later, three people were killed when a young Tunisian recently arrived in Europe went on a stabbing spree at a church in the Mediterranean city of Nice.

President Emmanuel Macron's government has introduced legislation to tackle radical Islamist activity in France, a bill that has sparked anger and protests in some Muslim countries. – AFP, December 19, 2020

Related News

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Business / 1y

Time for Malaysia to move away from its traditional markets, says MITI

Malaysia / 1y

Malaysia eyeing big chunk of RM 1.4 billion spent by French tourists yearly

Spotlight

Malaysia

Private university CFO charged over alleged RM6.56m CBT

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)

Malaysia

Three family members killed after Immigration truck runs red light

Malaysia

Woman, believed to be foreigner, allegedly causes disturbance at KLIA (video)

Opinion

Has DAP chosen the path to a slow death?

Malaysia

Three years of bullying at school puts 15-year-old at risk of hearing loss

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Police officer's wife cries, pleads for leniency after misusing disabled child's account

Malaysia

Organised cybergroups likely behind rise in racial hate on social media

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump says no planned talks with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Unleashed 60kg dog in Hong Kong mauls poodle, bichon frise to death (video)