World

Global support needed for Gaza reconstruction plan without displacing its people, says Egyptian President

The statement comes in contrast to remarks made earlier in February by U.S. President Donald Trump, who suggested that the United States could "take over" Gaza and transform it into the "Middle East Riviera."

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 20 Feb 2025 7:26AM

Global support needed for Gaza reconstruction plan without displacing its people, says Egyptian President
Idea of displacing the people of Gaza was firmly rejected by Palestinian groups. – February 20, 2025

INTERNATIONAL support is crucial for a reconstruction plan in Gaza that does not involve the displacement of Palestinian residents, stated Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Wednesday.

Earlier, on February 12, Egypt announced its intention to present a vision for the reconstruction of Gaza in the near future, ensuring the continuity of the Palestinian presence in their homeland.

Egypt's Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said that the country is working on a comprehensive and phased approach for Gaza’s reconstruction, Bernama-Sputnik/RIA Novosti reported today.

“We stress the importance of the international community supporting a Gaza reconstruction plan that does not involve the displacement of Palestinians,” said al-Sisi in a joint press conference with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez in Madrid, as reported by Sputnik.

This statement comes in contrast to remarks made earlier in February by U.S. President Donald Trump, who suggested that the United States could "take over" Gaza and transform it into the "Middle East Riviera."

Trump had also described Gaza as a “site of destruction” and proposed that its residents be permanently relocated to other countries, with Jordan and Egypt among the possible destinations. He did not rule out the possibility of sending U.S. troops to Gaza.

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar supported this suggestion, labeling Gaza as a "failed experiment," but the idea of displacing the people of Gaza was firmly rejected by Palestinian groups, including Hamas, as well as by Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia.

Since January 19, a ceasefire has been in place in Gaza following an agreement between Israel and Hamas for the release of Israeli hostages in exchange for the release of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails. – February 20, 2025

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Foreign tourist injured in bear attack in Japan

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured