World

Thousands flee after Japan's biggest wildfire in decades

One burnt body has been discovered so far, with more than 80 buildings damaged and around 1,700 firefighters mobilised from across the country.

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 02 Mar 2025 11:36AM

Thousands flee after Japan's biggest wildfire in decades
Some reports estimated the fire had spread over 1,800ha. (photo form NHK) - March 2, 2025.

THOUSANDS of people have been evacuated from parts of northern Japan as the country's largest wildfire in three decades raged unabated on Sunday (Mar 2) after killing at least one person, officials said.

AFP reported today that around 2,000 people fled areas around the northern Japan city of Ofunato to stay with friends or relatives, while more than 1,200 were evacuated to shelters, according to officials.

"We're still examining the size of the affected area, but it is the biggest since the 1992 wildfire" in Kushiro, Hokkaido, a disaster management agency spokesman told AFP on Saturday.

Some reports estimated the fire had spread over 1,800ha.

Aerial footage by the Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK) showed columns of white smoke billowing, four days after the blaze first materialised, with military helicopters trying to douse them.

One burnt body has been discovered so far, with more than 80 buildings damaged and around 1,700 firefighters mobilised from across the country.

The number of wildfires has declined since the peak in the 1970s, according to government data, but there were about 1,300 across Japan in 2023 - concentrated in the February to April period when the air dries and winds pick up. - March 2, 2025.

Spotlight

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

Opinion

One more temple falls: The destruction of Malaysia’s soul?

Opinion

Why is Israel pushing toward confrontation with Türkiye?

Malaysia

‘Uncle Anwar’ sends representative to children’s entrepreneurs day in Subang Jaya

Malaysia

‘Look at temple dispute based on facts and laws’ – DAP reps tell Rayer

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Malaysia

Malaysia, Brunei set deadline to demarcate boundary, enhance border security

Malaysia

Police probe indecent act allegedly targeting woman in Sungai Petani

Malaysia

Sarawak postpones three major programmes over haze concerns

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

5.9-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Japan, shakes Tokyo; several injured

World

Series of explosions, fires hit three southern Thai provinces

World

US threatens tougher Iran sanctions, raising pressure on China

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Prabowo orders more troops, helicopters as Kalimantan fires worsen

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war