World

US moves military assets, limits access to its largest Middle East base

US aircraft and ships relocated from bases in the Middle East that may be vulnerable to any potential Iranian attack

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 19 Jun 2025 1:48PM

US moves military assets, limits access to its largest Middle East base
Will the US join Israel's bombardment of Iran's nuclear and missile sites, as residents flee its capital on the sixth day of the air assault? (Photo by Majid Asgaripour/West Asia News Agency) via Reuters) - June 19, 2025

THE U.S. military has moved some aircraft and ships from bases in the Middle East that may be vulnerable to any potential Iranian attack, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

Reuters reported on Thursday the moves come as President Donald Trump kept the world guessing whether the United States would join Israel's bombardment of Iran's nuclear and missile sites, as residents fled its capital on the sixth day of the air assault.

US Senate Democrats say Trump needs Congress approval for war while Netanyahu says Israel 'progressing step by step' towards eliminating Iranian nuclear, missile threats

Escalation between Iran and Israel deepens

Iran and Israel exchanged further air strikes on Thursday, marking a dangerous intensification in what has become the most severe confrontation between the two regional rivals to date.

A week of sustained Israeli strikes has reportedly killed hundreds in Iran, including members of its senior military command, and inflicted significant damage on nuclear infrastructure. In response, Iran launched a volley of missiles that struck several civilian areas in Israel, killing at least 24 people, according to Israeli authorities.

Speaking outside the White House on Wednesday, Trump said only: “I may do it. I may not do it. I mean, nobody knows what I’m going to do.”

In later remarks, he claimed that Iranian officials had requested a meeting in Washington. “We may do that,” Trump said, adding, “It’s a little late.”

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, making his first public address since Friday via a televised speech, warned the United States against intervention.

“Any US military intervention will undoubtedly be accompanied by irreparable damage,” he said. “The Iranian nation will not surrender.”

While Iran insists its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes, the International Atomic Energy Agency last week stated that Tehran had breached its non-proliferation obligations for the first time in two decades.

European efforts to de-escalate the crisis continue, with foreign ministers from Germany, France and Britain expected to meet their Iranian counterpart in Geneva on Friday to encourage a return to the negotiating table, a German diplomatic source told Reuters.

Meanwhile, the escalating violence has sparked a civilian exodus from Tehran. Arezou, a 31-year-old resident who fled to Lavasan, told Reuters: “My friend’s house in Tehran was attacked and her brother was injured. They are civilians. Why are we paying the price for the regime’s decision to pursue a nuclear programme?”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a video statement released on Wednesday, confirmed the ongoing nature of the strikes. “We are hitting the nuclear sites, the missiles, the headquarters, the symbols of the regime,” he said.

He also expressed gratitude to Trump, “a great friend of the state of Israel,” stating the two remain in “continuous contact.”

Trump has oscillated between supporting a diplomatic resolution and musing online about assassinating Khamenei. “We are progressing step by step,” said Netanyahu of Israel’s offensive, which has seen unprecedented success in penetrating Iranian air defences.

Russia has urged restraint. President Vladimir Putin said, when asked about the possibility of an Israeli-US operation targeting Iran’s Supreme Leader: “I do not even want to discuss this possibility. I do not want to.” He stressed that a peaceful outcome must be sought that respects both Iran’s right to civilian nuclear energy and Israel’s security.

On Thursday, Israeli cities including Tel Aviv and Jerusalem were rocked by explosions following Iranian missile launches. The Israeli military confirmed hits on civilian sites, including a hospital. Simultaneously, Iranian media reported Israeli drone attacks near the Khondab heavy water nuclear facility, with air defences intercepting targets over Tehran.

Iran also claimed it had arrested 18 “enemy agents” allegedly building drones for Israeli use in the northeastern city of Mashhad.

While Israel is believed to possess nuclear weapons, it remains outside the international Non-Proliferation Treaty and does not publicly acknowledge its nuclear capabilities.

Iranian reports cite over 224 fatalities from Israeli attacks, mostly civilians, with no updated toll in recent days. The US-based HRANA agency put the figure at 639 dead and 1,329 injured as of 18 June, though Reuters has not independently verified those figures.

As the death toll rises on both sides, US domestic political pressure mounts. Senior Senate Democrats have urged Trump to pursue diplomacy and abide by legal requirements for war powers.

“We are alarmed by the Trump administration’s failure to provide answers to fundamental questions,” they said in a joint statement. “By law, the president must consult Congress and seek authorisation if he is considering taking the country to war. He owes Congress and the American people a strategy for US engagement in the region.” - June 19, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren