World

Trump says US forces bombed Iran nuclear sites

Israel, Iran exchange missile strikes as Iran foreign minister calls European diplomatic proposals 'unrealistic'

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 22 Jun 2025 8:15AM

Trump says US forces bombed Iran nuclear sites
This handout satellite image provided by Maxar Technologies shows an overview of the Fordow uranium enrichment facility, south of the capital Tehran. (Photo from AFP) - June 22, 2025

U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday said that a "very successful attack" on three nuclear sites in Iran had been successfully carried out, including at Fordow.

Reuters cited a posting on Truth Social, Trump added, "All planes are safely on their way home" and he congratulated "our great American Warriors."

Trump ended his posting saying, "Now is the time for peace."

The action came as Israel and Iran have been engaged in more than a week of aerial combat that has resulted in deaths and injuries in both countries.

Israel launched the attacks on Iran saying that it wanted to remove any chance of Tehran developing nuclear weapons.

Iran has argued that its nuclear program is intended for peaceful purposes.

Diplomatic efforts by Western nations to stop the hostilities had so far been unsuccessful.

Earlier, the United States had deployed B-2 Spirit stealth bombers to the Pacific island of Guam, according to two US defence officials, as Trump considered potential American involvement in Israel’s ongoing military campaign against Iran.

Though no formal orders have been issued linking the deployment to current hostilities, military observers view the move as a clear act of strategic positioning, particularly in the event of strikes against Iran’s nuclear infrastructure.

“This does not signal an immediate operation,” one of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told ComScore Observer, “but the assets are now better placed should such a decision be made.”

The B-2 bomber, capable of carrying the 30,000-pound GBU-57 bunker-buster bomb, is seen as critical to any potential assault on fortified Iranian nuclear sites, such as the underground facility at Fordow. However, details regarding the number of bombers involved or whether any specialised munitions were transferred remain undisclosed.

While the Pentagon has not publicly confirmed the deployment’s connection to the current Israel-Iran conflict, analysts are closely watching whether the B-2s may soon be moved further west, to Diego Garcia—an atoll in the Indian Ocean previously used for long-range strike operations and significantly closer to the Middle East theatre.

President Trump has stated he will take “up to two weeks” to decide whether Washington will commit to direct military involvement, while allowing “room for diplomatic avenues to calm the situation”.

Despite this, the latest military movements suggest Washington is laying the groundwork for rapid escalation if diplomacy fails. - June 22, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month