World

Macron urges swift EU response to US tariffs, calls for 'credible countermeasures'

French president joins European Commission in rejecting 30 per cent duties on EU exports, as trade tensions escalate ahead of 1 August deadline

Updated 1 year ago · Published on 13 Jul 2025 12:44PM

Macron urges swift EU response to US tariffs, calls for 'credible countermeasures'
US tariff move implies speeding up the preparation of credible countermeasures, by mobilising all the instruments at its disposal, including anti-coercion - July 13, 2025

FRENCH President Emmanuel Macron has expressed his “strong disapproval” of the United States’ decision to impose sweeping 30 per cent tariffs on European Union exports from 1 August, calling for the urgent preparation of credible countermeasures.

Writing on X, Macron stated that France shared the European Commission’s firm rejection of the move, which he described as a threat to the EU’s economic interests.

“Along with the President of the European Commission, France shares the same very strong disapproval at the announcement of horizontal 30 per cent tariffs on EU exports to the United States from August 1st,” he said.

Macron urged the European Commission to demonstrate its resolve by taking immediate steps to defend the bloc’s interests. “This implies speeding up the preparation of credible countermeasures, by mobilising all the instruments at its disposal, including anti-coercion, if no agreement is reached by August 1st,” he added.

The French president also reiterated his full support for ongoing negotiations aimed at reaching a compromise with Washington, but stressed that any agreement must reflect mutual respect and account for the integrated nature of transatlantic value chains.

Earlier this week, US President Donald Trump announced the introduction of new tariffs targeting goods from the EU and Mexico, a move that has cast doubt over efforts to finalise a long-anticipated transatlantic trade deal.

In a message posted on Truth Social, Trump confirmed the 30 per cent tariff decision in separate letters addressed to European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum, citing the need to protect American industries.

In response, von der Leyen affirmed the EU’s willingness to pursue a negotiated solution before the deadline but warned that the bloc would not hesitate to act if necessary.

“The European Commission is ready to work towards an agreement with the US by 1 August, but we will take all necessary steps to safeguard EU interests, including adopting proportionate countermeasures,” she said. - July 13, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

TikTok agrees to US$400 million settlement over alleged child privacy violations

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran