World

US to open ‘virtual’ diplomatic post in Western Sahara

It will be followed by fully functioning consulate, says Mike Pompeo

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 25 Dec 2020 1:45PM

US to open ‘virtual’ diplomatic post in Western Sahara
US and Moroccan flags seen next to a State Department-authorised map of Morocco that recognises the disputed Western Sahara territory as the North African kingdom’s region. – AFP pic, December 25, 2020

WASHINGTON – The United States will open a “virtual” diplomatic post in Western Sahara ahead of a consulate, said the State Department yesterday, after recognising Moroccan sovereignty over the disputed territory earlier this month.

Announcement of the virtual presence follows US President Donald Trump’s surprise declaration early this month supporting Morocco’s control of the desert territory, which is claimed by the Algerian-backed pro-independence Polisario Front rebels.

The move was part of a larger agreement revealed by Trump, under which Morocco became the latest Arab state to recognise Israel.

Jared Kushner, son-in-law and adviser to the US president, took his seat on Tuesday alongside an Israeli delegation on the first Israel-Morocco direct commercial flight, before signing a declaration that provides for the opening of a US consulate in the Western Sahara port city of Dakhla.

“Pleased to announce the beginning of the process to establish a US consulate in Western Sahara,” tweeted Secretary of State Mike Pompeo yesterday.

“Effective immediately, we are inaugurating a virtual presence post for Western Sahara,” he added in a statement, specifying that the post will be “followed soon by a fully functioning consulate”.

“This virtual presence post will be managed by the US embassy in Rabat” with a focus on promoting economic and social development, he said, without providing a timetable for the consulate.

He added that the US “will continue to support political negotiations to resolve issues between Morocco and the Polisario”. – AFP, December 25, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 1y

The Trump dilemma and reclaiming balance: The urgent need for fair global trade

Malaysia / 2y

Sanctions on 4 Malaysia-based companies still in place, says US official

Business / 2y

US court orders J&J, Kenvue to pay US$45 million over death of baby powder user

World / 2y

Aid for Ukraine held hostage by US politics

Malaysia / 2y

Foreign Ministry concerned at ‘irresponsible’ leak of confidential diplomatic note

Malaysia / 2y

Cops say no info yet on repatriation of two Malaysians from Guantanamo Bay

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident