World

Channel logjam eases for lorries blocked in Britain

Drivers stranded in southeast England after French move last weekend to halt all travel from Britain for 48 hours

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 26 Dec 2020 9:30AM

Channel logjam eases for lorries blocked in Britain
Eurotunnel operator Getlink says more than 1,000 lorries transited the tunnel in both directions by 5pm yesterday, two thirds of which had travelled from England to France. – Pixabay pic, December 26, 2020

CALAIS – More than a thousand lorries arrived at the French port here yesterday as authorities scrambled to ease a bottleneck in Britain, where thousands of drivers have been stuck for days after France imposed tougher coronavirus rules.

The port remains open despite the Christmas holiday, so that ferries, as well as the trains bringing trucks through the Channel Tunnel, could operate – but only for trips from Britain to France.

“Yesterday, we had 1,000 lorries cross over from Dover. As of 6pm (1700 GMT), we had 1,400 lorries from Britain,” Benoit Rochet, head of the Calais port operator, told AFP.

“At this rate, the situation should be completely taken care of by tomorrow.”

Getlink, the Eurotunnel operator, said more than 1,000 trucks transited the tunnel in both directions by 5pm, two thirds of which had travelled from England to France.

Most of the drivers headed straight for the highway, according to an AFP journalist at the scene.

Truckers were stranded in southeast England after France halted all travel from Britain last Sunday for 48 hours in a bid to prevent a new strain of the coronavirus, which experts fear to be more contagious, from reaching its shores.

The move created a massive logjam, with up to 10,000 trucks parked along highways as well as on the runway of the Manston airfield, according to European Union transport commissioner Adina Valean, who criticised the French government’s decision.

Drivers fumed at having to spend Christmas in their cabs away from their families with only minimal toilet facilities because they were unable to get the Covid-19 tests that must be negative to be allowed into France.

More than 10,000 tests had been carried out by yesterday afternoon, of which 24 were positive, according to British authorities.

Twenty-five French firefighters were again dispatched to Dover yesterday to help carry out tests, following a first team sent over on Thursday.

French Transport Minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbari tweeted that more than 1,000 Christmas Eve meals were sent to stranded drivers, distributed with the help of French Red Cross volunteers.

Britain’s Defence Ministry yesterday said an additional 800 personnel were deployed on top of 300 already on site to step up virus testing for drivers and “help clear the backlog of vehicles”.

“There is a need for increased testing as more vehicles continue to arrive every hour,” it tweeted, adding that the teams will also deliver food and water to drivers waiting to return home. – AFP, December 26, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Covid-19 cases in Malaysia stable, no deaths recorded this year – MOH

Business / 3mth

Airbus A220 deal will cost US$19 billion - Fernandes

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

China ends French team's dream run to retain the Thomas Cup

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France inch closer to historic triumph, faces reigning champions China in final

Sports & Fitness / 3mth

Thomas Cup: France on fire, outclass Japan to reach maiden semis

Malaysia / 5mth

Bad move to channel EPF dividends into Account 3 for festive withdrawals, cautions economist

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus