World

U.S. casts 6th veto at United Nations over war in Gaza

Denmark says 'humanitarian and human failure' forced countries to act with US saying Hamas is responsible for starting and continuing war

Updated 11 months ago · Published on 19 Sep 2025 8:43AM

U.S. casts 6th veto at United Nations over war in Gaza
Remaining 14 council members voted in favour of the draft resolution (Photo from Reuters) - September 19, 2025

THE United States vetoed on Thursday a draft United Nations Security Council resolution that would have demanded an immediate, unconditional and permanent ceasefire in Gaza and that Israel lift all restrictions on aid deliveries to the Palestinian enclave.

The text, drafted by the elected 10 members of the 15-member council, would also have demanded the immediate, dignified and unconditional release of all hostages held by Hamas and other groups.

Reuters reported that it received 14 votes in favour. It was the sixth time the U.S. had cast a veto in the Security Council over the nearly two-year war between Israel and Palestinian militants Hamas.

"Famine has been confirmed in Gaza - not projected, not declared, confirmed," Denmark's U.N. Ambassador Christina Markus Lassen told the council before the vote.

"Meanwhile, Israel has expanded its military operation in Gaza City, further deepening the suffering of civilians. As a result, it is this catastrophic situation, this humanitarian and human failure, that has compelled us to act today," she said.

Gaza City and surrounding areas are officially suffering from famine, and it will likely spread, a global hunger monitor determined last month.

U.S. Shields Israel

The United States traditionally shields its ally Israel at the United Nations. But in a rare move last week it backed a Security Council statement condemning recent strikes on Qatar, though the text it did not mention Israel was responsible.

The move reflected U.S. President Donald Trump's with the attack ordered by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. However, the U.S. veto on Thursday showed that just a week later Washington was again staunchly giving diplomatic protection to Israel.

"Hamas is responsible for starting and continuing this war. Israel has accepted proposed terms that would end the war, but Hamas continues to reject them. This war could end today if Hamas freed the hostages and laid down its arms," U.S. diplomat Morgan Ortagus told the council before the vote.

Israel was not happy with the Security Council statement on the strikes on Qatar, Israel's U.N. Ambassador Danny Danon told reporters on Thursday, adding: "But I think, overall, the level of cooperation with the U.S. is so high that we were OK with that."

Danon said that after Netanyahu addressed the annual U.N. General Assembly gathering of world leaders next week the prime minister would travel to Washington to meet with Trump on September 29. Netanyahu said earlier this month he had been invited by Trump to visit the White House.

The U.N. Security Council is also due to hold a high-level meeting on Gaza on Tuesday while world leaders are in New York.

An October 7, 2023, Hamas attack on Israel triggered the war in Gaza. Hamas killed 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and about 251 were taken hostage, according to Israeli tallies. More than 64,000 people, also mostly civilians, have since been killed during the war in Gaza, according to local health authorities. - September 19, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation