World

Syrian refugee camp in Lebanon set ablaze after ‘altercation’

UN confirms blaze, says some injured have been taken to hospital

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 27 Dec 2020 10:30AM

Syrian refugee camp in Lebanon set ablaze after ‘altercation’
A Syrian refugee camp housing 75 families in Lebanon’s northern Miniyeh region has been set on fire following a fight between those living there and a local family. – Twitter pic, December 27, 2020

BEIRUT – A Syrian refugee camp in northern Lebanon was set on fire last night following a fight between those living there and a local family, reported state media.

United Nations refugee agency UNHCR confirmed that a large fire broke out at the camp in the Miniyeh region, and said some injured have been taken to hospital, but did not provide an exact number.

“The fire has spread to all the tented shelters” – made of plastic sheeting and wood – UNHCR spokesman Khaled Kabbara told AFP.

The camp housed around 75 families, he said.

The National News Agency reported that the blaze followed an “altercation” between a member of a Lebanese family and “Syrian workers”.

Other youths from the family then “set fire to some of the refugees’ tents”.

Lebanese Civil Defence personnel worked to control the blaze, while the army and police were deployed to restore calm, said the report.

A security source told AFP that shots were heard, saying the fight in the Bhanine area was sparked when Syrian workers demanded a wage that their employers refuse to pay.

However, the same source later said initial inquiries found that the dispute could have been sparked by the harassment of a Syrian woman.

“Some families have fled the area out of fear because there were also sounds of explosions caused by household gas canisters blowing up,” said Kabbara.

Lebanon says it hosts some 1.5 million Syrians, including a million registered as refugees with the UN.

Authorities have called on refugees to return to Syria even though rights groups warn that the war-torn country is not yet safe.

Last month, around 270 Syrian refugee families fled the northern Lebanese town of Bsharre after a Syrian national was accused of shooting dead a citizen, sparking widespread tension and hostility. – AFP, December 27, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 2mth

Minister: Sarawak made right decision to reject entry of Rohingya refugees in 2017

Malaysia / 4mth

Decision on suit against Rosmah over 40 missing jewellery items set for June 10

Opinion / 4mth

Trump attempting to make a run for it?

Malaysia / 1y

Mahar calls for urgent global action amid worsening crises in Syria, Gaza

Malaysia / 1y

Mindef: Negotiations underway to send Palestinian refugees home

Malaysia / 1y

Mohd Nizam appointed new chief of defence

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline