World

Nearly 100 students trapped beneath collapsed Indonesian Islamic school building

Rescue efforts intensify in East Java as authorities confirm unauthorised expansion led to structural failure, leaving at least 91 students buried under rubble

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 01 Oct 2025 9:22AM

Nearly 100 students trapped beneath collapsed Indonesian Islamic school building
The disaster has so far claimed the lives of at least three students and injured over 100, many suffering from head trauma and fractures - October 1, 2025

AT least 91 students remain trapped beneath the debris of a collapsed Islamic boarding school in Indonesia’s East Java province, nearly two days after the structure caved in during afternoon prayers, officials have confirmed.

AP reported on Wednesday that the building collapse occurred at the century-old al-Khoziny Islamic boarding school, where more than 300 students—mostly boys aged between 12 and 18—were gathered for prayers on Monday.

The disaster has so far claimed the lives of at least three students and injured over 100, many suffering from head trauma and fractures.

“The latest count, based on school attendance records and reports from families, indicates 91 are still unaccounted for,” Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said late Tuesday, significantly revising earlier estimates.

Authorities believe six children are still alive under the rubble, though their condition remains uncertain. Emergency workers have been passing oxygen, water and food through narrow gaps to those pinned beneath the concrete. “Heavy machinery is available, but it’s not being used as the structure is extremely unstable,” a BNPB spokesperson told local media.

The school’s prayer hall, originally a two-storey structure, had been undergoing unauthorised construction to add two additional floors at the time of the collapse. Police said the foundation—already aged—could not withstand the added weight of poured concrete and gave way during the expansion.

Female students, who were praying in a separate section of the building, managed to escape uninjured.

More than 300 rescuers, including local police, fire brigades and military personnel, worked through the night in a race against time to reach survivors. Rescuers have also been joined by volunteers from surrounding villages, many using their bare hands and rudimentary tools to remove rubble.

The government has launched a full investigation into the incident. Police confirmed the construction was carried out without proper permits and are expected to pursue legal action against those responsible for the expansion. - October 1, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran