World

Trump calls for Israel to halt Gaza bombing after Hamas signals openness to US peace plan

Disarmament and Israeli withdrawal remain sticking points as Trump urges swift action on hostage release and ceasefire

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 04 Oct 2025 8:07AM

Trump calls for Israel to halt Gaza bombing after Hamas signals openness to US peace plan
“Hamas had shown it was “ready for a lasting peace,” Trump claims October 4, 2025

UNITED States President Donald Trump has urged Israel to immediately cease its bombing campaign in Gaza following Hamas’ conditional acceptance of elements in a proposed US peace deal. However, key issues such as the disarmament of the militant group and the terms of Israel’s withdrawal remain unresolved.

In a post on his Truth Social platform on Friday, Trump claimed Hamas had shown it was “ready for a lasting PEACE” and said the responsibility now lay with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government.

“Israel must immediately stop the bombing of Gaza, so that we can get the hostages out safely and quickly,” Reuters cited Trump writing, adding: “This is not about Gaza alone, this is about long sought PEACE in the Middle East.”

Trump, who has positioned himself as the central broker in ending the nearly two-year-long conflict, had earlier issued a Sunday deadline for Hamas to accept his 20-point peace proposal or face “grave consequences”.

Shortly after Hamas issued its formal response, Gaza residents reported continued Israeli air and ground strikes across Gaza City, including heavy bombardment of Talateeni Street and multiple strikes on residential buildings in Remal and Khan Younis.

Despite its backing for Trump’s plan, the Israeli government has not publicly responded to the group’s statement or Trump’s call to halt the bombing.

Israel’s opposition leader Yair Lapid, however, urged Netanyahu to proceed with the talks. “Israel should announce it is joining the discussions led by the president to finalise the details of the deal,” he posted on X.

Families of Israeli hostages held in Gaza also called on Netanyahu to “immediately order negotiations for the return of all hostages.”

The Israeli Prime Minister faces mounting domestic pressure from hostage families and an increasingly war-weary public, but is constrained by members of his far-right coalition who insist the war effort must continue until Hamas is eliminated.

French President Emmanuel Macron, a vocal advocate for Palestinian statehood, echoed Trump’s urgency: “Hamas’ commitment must be followed up without delay,” he said on X.

The war began on 7 October 2023, when Hamas militants launched a cross-border attack that killed around 1,200 people and took 251 hostages, according to Israeli figures. Israel says 48 hostages remain in Gaza, of whom 20 are believed to be alive.

Israel’s military response has since killed over 66,000 people in Gaza, mostly civilians, according to Gaza health officials. The offensive has devastated the territory, triggering a humanitarian catastrophe, with famine and mass displacement now widespread.

A recent UN Commission of Inquiry accused Israel of committing genocide in Gaza – an allegation Netanyahu’s government firmly rejects, insisting it is acting in self-defence.

In a copy of its response seen by Reuters, Hamas welcomed Trump’s proposal in principle and agreed to release all hostages, both living and dead, “according to the exchange formula contained in President Trump’s proposal, with the necessary field conditions for implementing the exchange.”

However, the group stopped short of accepting key demands, such as a phased Israeli withdrawal and full disarmament, both of which are central to Trump’s plan and backed by Israel and the US.

A senior Hamas official told Al Jazeera that the group would not agree to disarm prior to a full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

The plan put forward by Trump includes an immediate ceasefire, a comprehensive hostage-for-prisoners exchange, staged Israeli withdrawal, Hamas disarmament, and the establishment of a transitional international administration in Gaza.

While Hamas did not directly reject the idea of ceding political control, it reiterated its offer to “hand over the administration of the Gaza Strip to a Palestinian body of independents (technocrats) based on Palestinian national consensus and supported by Arab and Islamic backing.”

The group added it is “ready to immediately enter, through the mediators, into negotiations to discuss the details.”

Talks are now expected to continue through intermediaries including Qatar, Egypt, and the United States. A Qatari foreign ministry spokesperson confirmed coordination efforts were underway.

Earlier on Friday, Trump warned: “All HELL will break out in Gaza” if Hamas failed to accept the deal by Sunday at 6 p.m. ET. Hamas was not involved in the original drafting of the plan. - October 4, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen