World

Death toll rises to 36 in Indonesian boarding school collapse as search continues

Rescuers race to locate remaining students still trapped under rubble in East Java following structural failure linked to upper-floor construction

Updated 10 months ago · Published on 05 Oct 2025 1:00PM

Death toll rises to 36 in Indonesian boarding school collapse as search continues
Authorities continue search for 27 students still missing and feared trapped beneath the debris - October 5, 2025

THE number of students confirmed dead in the collapse of an Islamic boarding school in Indonesia has risen sharply to 36, up from 16 the previous day, according to the country’s disaster mitigation agency.

Reuters reported on Sunday that rescue operations entered their seventh day on Sunday, with authorities continuing to search for 27 students still missing and feared trapped beneath the debris. Most of the victims are believed to be teenage boys aged between 13 and 19.

The building, part of the Al Khoziny Islamic boarding school – or pesantren – in Sidoarjo, East Java, gave way last Monday during afternoon prayers. The collapse occurred as structural foundations failed to support ongoing construction on the building’s upper floors, the agency said.

Cranes and other heavy machinery have since been deployed, with the agency reporting that around 60 per cent of the debris had been cleared. It expects the recovery operation to be completed by Monday.

“On Friday, following days without detecting signs of life, we received permission from parents to utilise heavy equipment,” said a spokesperson for the disaster mitigation agency.

Rescue teams had previously attempted manual efforts, digging through tunnels in the collapsed structure, calling out students’ names and deploying sensors to detect movement – but found no response.

The incident has raised fresh concerns over building safety standards at religious boarding schools across Indonesia, many of which operate with limited oversight and are undergoing rapid expansion. - October 5, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran