World

Trump raises tariffs on Canada after Ontario airs Reagan-themed anti-tariff advert

US president denounces Ontario’s “fraudulent” ad as Canada moves to pause campaign and restart trade talks amid escalating tensions

Updated 9 months ago · Published on 26 Oct 2025 9:15AM

Trump raises tariffs on Canada after Ontario airs Reagan-themed anti-tariff advert
Trump first reacted to the ad on Thursday, calling it “dishonest” and announcing the suspension of trade talks with Ottawa - October 26, 2025

Trump first reacted to the ad on Thursday, calling it “dishonest” and announcing the suspension of trade talks with Ottawa - October 26, 2025

US president denounces Ontario’s “fraudulent” ad as Canada moves to pause campaign and restart trade talks amid escalating tensions

UNITED STATES President Donald Trump has announced a 10% increase in tariffs on Canadian goods, accusing the Ontario provincial government of airing a “misleading” advertisement that misrepresented his trade policies during the broadcast of the World Series.

Reuters reported today that the controversial advert, commissioned by Ontario and aired on Friday night during Game 1 between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Los Angeles Dodgers, featured a montage of former US president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to “trade wars and economic disaster.”

However, the footage was edited out of sequence from a 1980s address in which Reagan defended limited tariffs on Japan as a reluctant exception to his free trade principles.

“Their advertisement was to be taken down, IMMEDIATELY, but they let it run last night during the World Series, knowing that it was a FRAUD,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

“Because of their serious misrepresentation of the facts, and hostile act, I am increasing the tariff on Canada by 10% over and above what they are paying now.”

Trump first reacted to the ad on Thursday, calling it “dishonest” and announcing the suspension of trade talks with Ottawa.

He doubled down on Saturday, posting his statement while aboard Air Force One en route to Malaysia — the first stop on his East Asia tour centred on trade and regional diplomacy.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said on Friday that, following discussions with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, the province would suspend the US advertising campaign from Monday to help pave the way for negotiations to resume.

“The Premier and I are in agreement that it is in everyone’s interest to get trade discussions back on track,” Carney said, adding that Canada “stands ready to resume talks with the United States.”

It remains unclear which goods will be affected by Trump’s latest tariff hike. Most Canadian exports to the US remain exempt under the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA), signed during Trump’s first term.

However, goods outside the USMCA framework have faced a 35% tariff since August, while steel and aluminium exports from Canada — like those from all other nations — have been subject to 50% tariffs this year.

White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett said on Friday that trade talks with Canada had been “not going well,” noting Trump’s growing frustration with Ottawa. The White House, US Commerce Department and the Canadian prime minister’s office have yet to issue formal comments.

Trump and Carney are both attending the 47th ASEAN Summit in Kuala Lumpur, but the US president told reporters he had “no plans” to meet the Canadian leader during the event. - October 26, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran