World

Netanyahu orders strike on Gaza after accusing Hamas of ceasefire breach

Israeli air raids kill at least 26 as tensions rise over delayed hostage remains handover; Hamas insists it remains committed to the truce

Updated 9 months ago · Published on 29 Oct 2025 9:34AM

Netanyahu orders strike on Gaza after accusing Hamas of ceasefire breach
A senior official claimed that Hamas had “blatantly violated the ceasefire” by attacking Israeli forces in a controlled area of the Gaza Strip - October 29, 2025

ISRAELI Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered “powerful attacks” on Gaza after accusing Hamas of violating the fragile ceasefire brokered earlier this month by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Reuters cited Gaza health authorities stating that at least 26 people were killed in overnight airstrikes on Tuesday, including five in a house in the Bureij refugee camp, four in Gaza City’s Sabra neighbourhood, and five in a car in Khan Younis.

The bombardments continued into early Wednesday across the enclave, witnesses said.

The Israeli military has yet to comment on the strikes, but a senior official claimed that Hamas had “blatantly violated the ceasefire” by attacking Israeli forces in a controlled area of the Gaza Strip.

Earlier, Netanyahu’s office said he had ordered the immediate strikes without specifying the trigger, but later accused Hamas of “handing over the wrong remains” during a process to return Israeli hostages’ bodies.

The prime minister said the remains delivered on Monday belonged to Ofir Tzarfati, who was killed in the Hamas-led assault on Israel on October 7, 2023 — remains that Israeli troops had already partially recovered.

Hamas responded by saying it would postpone a planned handover of another hostage’s body, citing Israel’s own violations of the ceasefire. The group’s armed wing, Al-Qassam Brigades, later claimed to have recovered the bodies of two Israeli hostages, Amiram Cooper and Sahar Baruch, during ongoing search operations.

Hamas said Netanyahu was “looking for excuses to back away from Israel’s obligations” under the truce. The group maintained that it was still committed to the ceasefire agreement, which took effect on October 10 and halted two years of war.

Under the terms of the deal, Hamas released all surviving hostages in exchange for nearly 2,000 Palestinian detainees, while Israel withdrew its forces and halted major military operations. Hamas also pledged to return the remains of all deceased hostages, though it said retrieving them from the ruins and tunnels of Gaza would “take time.”

In Washington, U.S. Vice President JD Vance said he believed the truce was “holding,” despite sporadic violence. “That doesn’t mean that there aren’t going to be little skirmishes here and there,” he told reporters. “We expect the Israelis are going to respond, but I think the president’s peace is going to hold despite that.”

Israeli media earlier reported exchanges of fire between Hamas fighters and Israeli troops in Rafah, though the military declined to comment. Hamas denied involvement in the incident.

Local officials in Gaza said one of Tuesday’s airstrikes hit a residential building near Shifa Hospital, the largest functioning hospital in northern Gaza. The facility itself was also struck, with two people wounded in an attack on a nearby tent in Zawayda, central Gaza.

Meanwhile, search operations for hostage remains have intensified in recent days with the arrival of heavy machinery from Egypt. Excavations have been under way in Khan Younis and Nuseirat, where Hamas fighters have been seen securing tunnel shafts as crews dig deep into the ground.

Gaza’s health authorities say at least 68,000 people have been killed since Israel launched its offensive following the October 2023 Hamas attacks, with thousands more still missing. - October 29, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war