World

Israel confirms three remains handed by Hamas are not hostages, ceasefire tensions continue

Families rally as uncertainty over hostages and ongoing military presence strain fragile truce in Gaza

Updated 9 months ago · Published on 02 Nov 2025 4:29PM

Israel confirms three remains handed by Hamas are not hostages, ceasefire tensions continue
“We handed the bodies over to stop the claims of Israel,” Hamas said, noting that health officials in Gaza struggle to identify bodies without DNA kits (File pic) - November 2, 2025

THE remains of three individuals handed over by Hamas to the Red Cross in Gaza do not belong to any hostages, Israeli authorities confirmed on Saturday, marking a setback to the U.S.-brokered ceasefire in the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict.

AP reported today that the handover followed Israel’s return of 30 Palestinian bodies to Gaza on Friday, completing an exchange after militants earlier released remains of two hostages.

It remains unclear whose remains were handed over by Hamas. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office confirmed the three bodies were not hostages, while Hamas’ armed wing stated that it had offered samples of unidentified bodies, which Israel refused, requesting full remains instead.

“We handed the bodies over to stop the claims of Israel,” Hamas said, noting that health officials in Gaza struggle to identify bodies without DNA kits.

Families and supporters continued to rally on Saturday night, calling for the return of all hostages. Yael Adar, mother of the late Tamir Adar, said at a Tel Aviv gathering: “The Hamas scum are mocking us.” Meanwhile, Moran Harari, friend of the late Carmel Gat, urged restraint at a Jerusalem rally.

“This cursed war has taken so many lives of dear people on both sides of the fence. This time, we must not fall into it again,” Harari said.

Since the ceasefire began on October 10, Palestinian militants have released remains of 17 hostages, with 11 still held in Gaza. Israel has urged Hamas to accelerate the process, while militants cite widespread devastation and Israeli military presence as complicating factors.

Israel has simultaneously returned 225 unidentified Palestinian bodies in exchange for the remains of Israeli hostages, though only 75 have been identified by families, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

The truce faced further strain earlier this week when Israeli strikes across Gaza killed more than 100 people following the death of an Israeli soldier in Rafah. Jordan’s foreign minister, Ayman Safadi, warned that Israel’s ongoing military presence in Gaza endangers the ceasefire.

“With Israel staying in Gaza, I think security is going to be a challenge,” Safadi said, advocating for a Palestinian police force supported by an international stabilisation force under a U.N. mandate.

The 20-point U.S. peace plan envisages a temporary international force, coordinated with Egypt and Jordan, but explicitly rules out American troops. Indonesia has offered thousands of personnel for such a mission, although Foreign Minister Sugiono stressed that a U.N. Security Council mandate is required before any deployment.

The conflict, now the deadliest between Israel and Hamas, began with the 2023 Hamas-led attack that killed roughly 1,200 people and took 251 hostages.

Israel’s military response has resulted in over 68,600 Palestinian deaths in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run Health Ministry, which tracks both civilians and combatants. Israel disputes these figures but has not provided an alternative toll. - November 2, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation