World

Israel launches deadly airstrikes in Gaza, undermining fragile ceasefire

Israeli air attacks on Hamas targets in Gaza killed at least 24 people and injured dozens more, including children, as tensions escalate despite a ceasefire agreement that began on October 10

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 23 Nov 2025 9:38AM

Israel launches deadly airstrikes in Gaza, undermining fragile ceasefire
The strikes followed reports of gunfire at Israeli troops, reigniting fears of renewed conflict in the region (File pic) - November 23, 2025

ISRAEL conducted airstrikes across Gaza on Saturday, killing at least 24 Palestinians and wounding 54 others, including children, according to health officials in the territory. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office claimed that five senior Hamas members were among those killed.

AP reported on Sunday that the strikes came after reports that gunfire was directed at Israeli troops in southern Gaza. Israel said an “armed terrorist” had crossed into an Israeli-held area and fired at soldiers, describing it as an “extreme violation” of the ceasefire that began on October 10.

No Israeli troops were injured.

One strike hit a vehicle in Gaza City’s Rimal neighbourhood, killing 11 and wounding more than 20, mostly children, according to Rami Mhanna, managing director of Shifa Hospital, where the casualties were taken.

“Suddenly, I heard a powerful explosion. I looked outside and saw smoke covering the entire area. I couldn’t see a thing. I covered my ears and started shouting to the others in the tent to run,” said Khalil Abu Hatab, a resident of Deir al-Balah.

“When I looked again, I realised the upper floor of my neighbour’s house was gone. It’s a fragile ceasefire. This is not a life we can live. There’s no safe place.”

Other strikes targeted houses near Al-Awda Hospital and in Nuseirat and Deir al-Balah camps, killing at least 13 more people and wounding dozens. Associated Press footage showed children inspecting the remains of a vehicle whose roof had been blown off.

The Israeli military said its forces also killed 11 “terrorists” in the Rafah area and detained six others attempting to flee an underground structure.

Two more were killed after entering Israeli-controlled areas in northern Gaza. Israeli forces still control just over half of Gaza after partial withdrawals under the ceasefire.

Hamas condemned the strikes, accusing Israel of “fabricating pretexts to evade the [ceasefire] agreement and return to the war of extermination.” Izzat al-Rishq, a senior member of Hamas’ political bureau, said the group had appealed to the U.S. and other mediators to enforce the agreement.

Hamas did not comment on Israel’s claim of senior member casualties.

The conflict, which erupted with a Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on October 7 that killed around 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages, has already inflicted severe losses on Gaza.

The Health Ministry in Gaza reports that 69,733 Palestinians have been killed and 170,863 injured in Israeli retaliatory operations. Most casualties are women and children, according to officials.

Meanwhile, Israeli citizens protested in Tel Aviv on Saturday night, calling for a state commission of inquiry into the events of October 7.

“The government of Israel failed in its most important mission: to protect its children, to protect its citizens, not to abandon soldiers on the battlefield without rescue and without assistance,” said Rafi Ben Shitrit, father of Staff Sgt. Shimon Alroy Ben Shitrit, who was killed in the initial Hamas attack.

The latest wave of airstrikes underscores the fragile nature of the ceasefire and the continued volatility of Gaza, highlighting the human toll on civilians and the persistent risk of escalation in the region. - November 23, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons