World

Hong Kong tower inferno: Death toll rises to 128 as firefighters recover more bodies

Authorities warned the figure may continue to climb as search teams press on through the seven towers devastated by Wednesday’s blaze

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 28 Nov 2025 6:55PM

Hong Kong tower inferno: Death toll rises to 128 as firefighters recover more bodies
Bamboo scaffolding wrapped in netting for a renovation project ignited, allowing flames to leap rapidly from building to building until seven towers were engulfed (Photo for representational purposes only)- November 28, 2025

A HARROWING apartment-by-apartment operation inside the burnt-out Wang Fuk Court high-rise complex has pushed Hong Kong’s death toll to at least 128, making it one of the territory’s deadliest fires in decades.

AP cited authorities warning the figure may continue to climb as search teams press on through the seven towers devastated by Wednesday’s blaze, which tore vertically and laterally through the complex after renovation scaffolding fuelled the spread.

Hong Kong: Fire Services confirmed on Friday that dozens more bodies were recovered overnight, bringing the toll up by 34.

Derek Armstrong Chan, a deputy director of the department, said crews prioritised units from which more than two dozen distress calls had been received but could not be reached at the height of the inferno.

Secretary for Security Chris Tang, speaking at the scene, cautioned that “the numbers could still rise”, saying 89 bodies remained unidentified and roughly 200 residents were still unaccounted for. He estimated that the investigation would take at least “three to four weeks”.

Fire Services Director Andy Yeung disclosed that initial inspections revealed non-functioning fire alarms in parts of the complex.

“There could be legal consequences,” he said. Twelve firefighters were among the 79 injured, and one firefighter was killed.

The blaze erupted mid-afternoon on Wednesday in one of the complex’s eight towers.

Bamboo scaffolding wrapped in netting for a renovation project ignited, allowing flames to leap rapidly from building to building until seven towers were engulfed. It took firefighters nearly 24 hours to bring the fire under control, with flare-ups continuing well into Friday morning.

The Wang Fuk Court estate, located in Tai Po district near the mainland border, housed nearly 2,000 flats and approximately 4,800 residents, many of them elderly. Most casualties were found in the first two towers overwhelmed by the blaze.

Hong Kong’s anti-corruption agency announced an investigation into the renovation works, and police confirmed they had arrested three men — company directors and an engineering consultant — on suspicion of manslaughter, citing “gross negligence”.

The Associated Press (AP) confirmed Prestige Construction & Engineering Company oversaw the project, and police seized boxes of documents from its offices.

Authorities also reported discovering plastic foam panels near elevator lobbies and suggested some exterior wall materials failed to meet fire-resistance standards, contributing to the unusually rapid spread.

 Immediate inspections of other housing estates undergoing renovation have been ordered.

This is the city’s deadliest fire in decades. The last tragedy of comparable scale occurred in 1948, when a warehouse fire claimed 176 lives. A 1996 commercial building fire in Kowloon killed 41. -November 28, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation