World

Israel launches retaliatory airstrike amid fragile Gaza ceasefire

Israel conducted an airstrike on a Hamas militant in southern Gaza following an attack earlier that wounded five Israeli soldiers, underscoring tensions in a ceasefire that has largely held since October.

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 04 Dec 2025 10:59AM

Israel launches retaliatory airstrike amid fragile Gaza ceasefire
Situation unfolds as Israel receives remains of potential hostages and plans limited openings of the Rafah border crossing with Egypt - December 4, 2025

ISRAEL carried out an airstrike late on Wednesday targeting a Hamas militant in southern Gaza in retaliation for an attack earlier in the day that injured five Israeli soldiers.

AP reported on Thursday that the strike tested the fragile ceasefire, which has mostly held since early October despite repeated claims of violations from both sides.

Hamas condemned the Israeli action in a statement from Khan Younis.

Earlier on Wednesday, Israel received the remains of what could be one of the last hostages held in Gaza and announced plans to allow Palestinians to leave the territory through the Rafah border crossing with Egypt.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that Hamas had violated the ceasefire when militants reportedly emerged from a tunnel and attacked Israeli forces in a controlled area. “Hamas violated the ceasefire today,” he said, echoing previous claims that breaches have preceded Israeli retaliatory strikes.

Past airstrikes in late October and November killed 104 and 33 people, respectively, according to local health authorities.

The remains delivered to Israel on Wednesday are under forensic examination.

Partial remains handed over by militants on Tuesday did not match the last two hostages still in Gaza, identified as Israeli Ran Gvili and Thai national Sudthisak Rinthalak. Gvili, an Israeli police officer, was killed while aiding civilians during the October 7 attack.

Rinthalak, a Thai agricultural worker, had been employed at Kibbutz Be’eri, one of the communities hardest hit by the attack.

“The return of all hostages is a key element of the first phase of the ceasefire,” the Israeli government said, noting that Israel has been releasing Palestinian prisoners in exchange for hostages.

Once the remaining hostages’ remains are returned, the U.S.-backed ceasefire plan is expected to progress to subsequent phases, which include establishing an international stabilisation force, forming a technocratic Palestinian government, and disarming Hamas.

The opening of the Rafah crossing remains complicated by a dispute over return passage. Egypt has stated that the border will only open if movement is permitted in both directions.

Israel, however, has insisted that Palestinians will not be allowed to return until all hostages are accounted for. COGAT, the Israeli military body responsible for facilitating aid to Gaza, confirmed that departures would be coordinated with Egypt under European Union supervision and would require Israeli security approval.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi has voiced concerns that Israel might use the border to prompt a permanent exodus from Gaza, threatening the Palestinian statehood cause.

More than 100,000 Palestinians displaced since the outbreak of hostilities, including the wounded, have been living in Egypt.

Meanwhile, fighting in Gaza City resulted in the death of a 46-year-old Palestinian man shot in the Zeitoun neighbourhood, which is designated as a safe zone under the ceasefire. Gaza Health Ministry officials reported that over 360 Palestinians have been killed since the truce took effect on October 11.

Since the ceasefire began, 20 living hostages and the remains of 26 others have been returned to Israel. Israel continues to release Palestinian bodies on a ratio of 15 for each hostage.

According to Gaza Health Ministry data, a total of 330 Palestinian remains have been returned, though only a fraction have been identified due to limited DNA testing resources.

The conflict, triggered by the Hamas-led assault on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, claimed approximately 1,200 Israeli lives and saw 251 people taken hostage.

The Gaza Health Ministry estimates the total Palestinian death toll from the war at over 70,100, including a substantial proportion of women and children. - December 4, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran