World

Gaza ceasefire at ‘critical moment’ as first phase ends, Qatari premier warns

International mediators push for next phase amid ongoing violence; one Israeli hostage still held in Gaza

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 06 Dec 2025 6:24PM

Gaza ceasefire at ‘critical moment’ as first phase ends, Qatari premier warns
While the truce has halted the heavy fighting of the two-year conflict, violence continues - December 6, 2025

QATAR’S Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani has warned that the Gaza ceasefire has reached a “critical moment” as the first phase draws to a close, with militants in Gaza still holding the remains of one Israeli hostage.

Speaking at the Doha Forum on Saturday, Sheikh Mohammed emphasised that the truce should not yet be considered a full ceasefire.

“What we have just done is a pause,” AP cited him saying. “We cannot consider it yet a ceasefire. A ceasefire cannot be completed unless there is a full withdrawal of Israeli forces, there is stability back in Gaza, people can go in and out, which is not the case today.”

While the truce has halted the heavy fighting of the two-year conflict, violence continues.

Gaza health authorities report that over 360 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the ceasefire took effect in October, and two more Palestinians were killed in a recent Israeli airstrike northwest of Gaza City, according to Shifa Hospital.

The Israeli military did not immediately comment, though it confirmed it has carried out strikes on Palestinians attempting to cross ceasefire lines into Israeli-controlled territory.

The first phase of U.S. President Donald Trump’s 20-point peace plan, which began on October 10, saw a cessation of fighting and the exchange of dozens of hostages held in Gaza for hundreds of Palestinians held in Israeli prisons. Israel sent a delegation to Egypt last week to negotiate the return of the final hostage’s remains.

The plan’s second phase—which includes the deployment of an international security force in Gaza, the establishment of a new technocratic government, disarmament of Hamas, and eventual withdrawal of Israeli forces—has yet to begin.

Arab and Western officials told the Associated Press that an international body overseeing the ceasefire, to be led by Trump, is expected to be appointed by the end of the year. In the long term, the plan envisions a potential pathway to Palestinian independence.

Sheikh Mohammed stressed that even the next phase should be temporary and that lasting peace can only come with the eventual establishment of a Palestinian state—a goal opposed by Israel’s hard-line government.

“If we are just resolving what happened in Gaza, the catastrophe that happened in the last two years, it’s not enough,” he said.

“There is a root for this conflict. And this conflict is not only about Gaza. It’s about Gaza. It’s about the West Bank. It’s about the rights of the Palestinians for their state. We are hoping that we can work together with the U.S. administration to achieve this vision at the end of the day.”

Türkiye’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan also raised concerns about the formation of the international security force, noting uncertainties over participating countries, the command structure, and the force’s initial mission.

Türkiye, a guarantor of the ceasefire, has been rejected by Israel for participation due to strained bilateral relations. “Thousands of details, questions are in place,” Fidan said. “I think once we deploy ISF, the rest will come.”

The conflict erupted on October 7, 2023, when Hamas militants entered Israel, killing approximately 1,200 people and taking over 250 hostages.

Israel responded with a military offensive that has killed over 70,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which reports that nearly half of the dead were women and children. Israel contends that Hamas has used civilians as human shields. - December 6, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit