World

Pearl Harbour remembrance faces historic shift as last survivors unable to attend

For the first time in decades, no living survivors of the 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor will be present at the annual remembrance ceremony in Hawaii

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 07 Dec 2025 5:16PM

Pearl Harbour remembrance faces historic shift as last survivors unable to attend
Absence highlights the urgent need to preserve firsthand accounts of the tragic event that claimed over 2,300 American lives and propelled the United States into World War II - December 7, 2025

THIS year’s annual Pearl Harbor commemoration marks a historic and poignant moment: for the first time, no living survivors of the 1941 Japanese attack will be able to attend the ceremony on the military base’s waterfront.

AP reported on Sunday that with only twelve centenarians still alive, the pilgrimage to Hawaii, scheduled for Sunday, will proceed without anyone who experienced the attack firsthand, a sobering reminder of the passage of time.

“The idea of not having a survivor there for the first time — I just, I don’t know — it hurt my heart in a way I can’t describe,” said Kimberlee Heinrichs, whose 105-year-old father, Ira “Ike” Schab, had to cancel his travel from Oregon after falling ill.

Survivors have attended every year in recent memory, except in 2020, when the ceremony was closed to the public due to COVID-19 restrictions.

The observance traditionally begins with a moment of silence at 7:55 a.m., the exact time the first bombs fell on December 7, 1941.

 Following this, fighter jets perform a “missing man formation” flyover, and wreaths are laid in remembrance of those lost. In recent years, active-duty personnel have taken over some ceremonial duties, including presenting wreaths and saluting survivors at the USS Arizona Memorial, which rests above the sunken battleship’s submerged hull.

At its 50th anniversary in 1991, approximately 2,000 survivors attended the ceremony. In the decades since, only a few dozen have appeared, and last year, just two made the journey.

Out of an estimated 87,000 troops stationed on Oahu at the time of the attack, these numbers reflect both the inevitable passing of the generation that lived through it and the importance of preserving their testimonies.

Harry Chandler, who passed away in 2024, vividly recalled the attack in 2023, describing how he was raising a flag at a mobile hospital above the base when Japanese planes began dropping bombs.

“I can still see what was happening,” he told the Associated Press, recounting the horror of witnessing the USS Arizona explode and sailors trapped on the capsized USS Oklahoma desperately tapping on the hull for help. Chandler, a Navy hospital corpsman, spent hours assisting the injured.

Historians note that Pearl Harbor holds varied meanings: some view it as a lesson in military preparedness, others focus on failures of intelligence or leadership, and many remember the heroism of the troops, according to Emily S. Rosenberg in her book “A Date Which Will Live: Pearl Harbor in American Memory.”

Asked what message Americans should take from the attack, Chandler simply said, “Be prepared. We should have known that was going to happen. The intelligence has to be better.”

Recognising the importance of preserving the memories of those who witnessed the attack, retired National Park Service Pearl Harbor historian Daniel Martinez undertook extensive oral history interviews, recording nearly 800 accounts on video.

“They remain as a part of the national memory of a day that changed America and changed the world,” Martinez said.

These recordings, along with collections housed at the Library of Congress, including letters, diaries, and photographs from over 500 survivors, ensure that their experiences continue to educate future generations.

Groups such as the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors continue to keep the memory alive, presenting in schools and participating in parades.

“When they’re all gone, we’re still going to be here,” said Deidre Kelley, the group’s president. “And it’s our intent to keep the memory alive as long as we’re alive.”

With no survivors able to attend, this year’s ceremony underscores both the passage of time and the enduring responsibility to honour, remember, and learn from those who lived through one of America’s defining moments. - December 7, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month