World

Japan lifts tsunami warnings after powerful 7.5 quake but officials caution of mega-quake risk

Japan lifted all tsunami warnings early Tuesday after a powerful offshore earthquake struck the country’s northeast overnight, injuring dozens

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 09 Dec 2025 8:48AM

Japan lifts tsunami warnings after powerful 7.5 quake but officials caution of mega-quake risk
Quake triggers brief blackouts and prompting the evacuation of around 90,000 residents - December 9, 2025

JAPAN’S Meteorological Agency (JMA) lifted its final tsunami advisories at 6:20 a.m. Tuesday after a 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck at 11:15 p.m. Monday off the coast of Aomori prefecture.

Reuters reported today that the tremor’s epicentre was about 80 kilometres offshore at a depth of roughly 54 kilometres.

Initial warnings of possible 3-metre waves triggered evacuations across coastal communities from Hokkaido to Iwate, with observed tsunami measuring between 20 and 70 centimetres.

No major structural damage has been reported so far, but injuries continue to rise. Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said: “As of now, I have received reports of 30 people being injured and one fire.”

On Japan’s seismic intensity scale, the quake registered an “upper 6” in Hachinohe, Aomori — a level considered strong enough to prevent people from standing or walking without crawling.

Local resident and convenience store owner Nobuo Yamada described the experience to NHK: “I’ve never experienced such a big shaking,” adding that “luckily” power lines in his area remained operational.

The Fire and Disaster Management Agency confirmed at least 23 injuries earlier in the night, including one serious case, noting that many were struck by falling objects.

NHK reported that several guests in a Hachinohe hotel sustained injuries, while a man in Tohoku was slightly hurt when his car plunged into a hole created by the tremor.

East Japan Railway suspended Shinkansen and several local services in the region, while flight operations were also disrupted, with around 200 passengers stranded overnight at New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara urged residents to move to higher ground and remain sheltered until all advisories were lifted. He said about 800 homes suffered power outages and confirmed that nuclear facilities were carrying out checks.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority later reported that around 450 litres of water had spilled from a spent-fuel cooling area at the Rokkasho reprocessing plant in Aomori, but the water level remained normal and posed no safety risk.

The Defence Ministry mobilised 18 helicopters for damage assessments, with about 480 residents taking temporary shelter at Hachinohe Air Base. Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi said assessments were continuing.

The JMA warned that the risk of aftershocks — including a potentially powerful one — remains. “There is a possibility that further powerful and stronger earthquakes could occur over the next several days,” a JMA official said.

The agency noted a slight increase in the likelihood of a magnitude-8-class quake along the northeastern coast, urging residents across 182 municipalities from Chiba to Hokkaido to review emergency readiness.

Satoshi Kato, a vice-principal of a public high school in Hachinohe, told NHK he found shattered glass across his home and encountered traffic jams and accidents as residents attempted to flee. His school, designated as an evacuation centre, had not yet received evacuees at the time he spoke.

Prime Minister Takaichi said the government had activated an emergency task force: “We are putting people’s lives first and doing everything we can.” She later added, “Please be prepared so you can immediately evacuate as soon as you feel a tremor.”

Japan, located along the seismically volatile Ring of Fire, experiences tremors frequently and accounts for roughly 20 per cent of the world’s magnitude-6 or greater earthquakes.

The latest quake struck close to the zone devastated in March 2011 by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that killed nearly 20,000 people and triggered the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.

Drawing on lessons from 2011 — when a magnitude-7 foreshock preceded the main quake by two days — the government now issues automatic one-week “mega-quake” advisories after significant regional tremors.

The U.S. Geological Survey also detected a separate 5.1-magnitude earthquake early Tuesday, about 122 kilometres south of Honcho at a depth of 35 kilometres. No immediate reports of damage were available. - December 9, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren