World

Two held after shooting incident triggers major police operation at Sydney’s Bondi Beach

Police have detained two people following reports of gunshots and injuries at Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach, prompting an ongoing security operation and warnings for the public to stay away from the area

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 14 Dec 2025 5:35PM

Two held after shooting incident triggers major police operation at Sydney’s Bondi Beach
The police operation is ongoing and we continue to urge people to avoid the area,” New South Wales Police say - December 14, 2025

A MAJOR police operation was underway at Bondi Beach on Sunday after reports of gunfire and multiple injuries, with Australian authorities confirming that two people have been taken into custody as investigations continue.

New South Wales Police said the situation remains active, urging the public to avoid the popular coastal area while officers secure the scene and conduct further inquiries.

“The police operation is ongoing and we continue to urge people to avoid the area,” Reuters cited New South Wales Police saying in a post on X.

Local media reported that several people were injured during the incident. The Sydney Morning Herald said multiple casualties had been recorded, while television networks Sky News and ABC broadcast footage showing individuals lying on the ground as emergency services responded.

Videos circulating on social media platform X appeared to show beachgoers fleeing in panic, with the sound of multiple gunshots and police sirens audible in the background. Reuters said it was unable to independently verify the authenticity of the footage.

The incident drew swift attention from the federal government, with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s office acknowledging the unfolding situation.

“We are aware of an active security situation in Bondi. We urge people in the vicinity to follow information from NSW Police,” a spokesperson for the prime minister said.

Bondi Beach, one of Australia’s most recognisable tourist destinations, is typically crowded on weekends. Authorities have not yet released details on the nature of the injuries, the motive behind the incident, or whether further arrests are expected, as investigations remain ongoing. - December 14, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates