World

Brown Uni shooting probe shifts as detained man set free; hunt continues for suspect seen on video

Authorities say a man previously held as a person of interest in the deadly shooting will be released, as investigators acknowledge the case has taken a different turn and the gunman remains at large

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 15 Dec 2025 2:20PM

Brown Uni shooting probe shifts as detained man set free; hunt continues for suspect seen on video
Authorities say investigation moving in another direction - December 15, 2025

INVESTIGATORS probing the mass shooting at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island that killed two students and wounded nine others said late on Sunday that a man previously detained as a person of interest will be released from custody, conceding that the inquiry has shifted and the suspect has not yet been identified.

Reuters, on Monday, cited Providence Mayor Brett Smiley and state and local officials telling a late-night news conference that the man taken into custody earlier in the day would be freed, saying the investigation was now heading in a “different direction”.

“We have not yet solved this case, but I am confident we are going to do that in the near future,” Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said.

Providence Police Chief Oscar Perez had said at a midday briefing that a man in his 20s was being held in connection with Saturday’s shooting but offered no details. Officials later declined to explain why he had been detained in the first place.

“There was a quantum of evidence which justified detaining this person as a person of interest,” Neronha said, adding that investigators subsequently concluded there was “no basis to believe that he's a person of interest, so ... he's being released.”

Authorities said they now believe the individual they are seeking is an unidentified person captured in surveillance footage released over the weekend.

Earlier on Sunday, FBI Director Kash Patel said in a post on X that the person of interest had been detained in a hotel room in Coventry, about a 30-minute drive from the Brown campus. Patel said an FBI team specialising in cellular data analysis had used geolocation information to track the suspect.

Despite acknowledging that the gunman was still presumed to be at large, officials said on Sunday night that they would not reinstate the shelter-in-place order that had earlier confined the campus and surrounding neighbourhoods.

The shooting, which took place in a classroom inside Brown’s Barus & Holley engineering and physics building, sent shockwaves through the Ivy League university and the wider Providence community. Officials said the attacker fled after opening fire while exams were under way, at a time when the building’s outer doors had been left unlocked.

Authorities on Saturday released a short video clip showing a person dressed in black walking near the engineering building. Providence Deputy Police Chief Timothy O’Hara said the individual may have been wearing a mask, though officials were not certain.

Seven of the injured students were in stable condition, Smiley said. One remained in critical but stable condition, and another had been discharged from hospital.

Smiley said that as of midday on Sunday, authorities had not yet reached all of the victims’ families because some relatives were travelling. He urged residents to attend a previously planned community gathering to light a Christmas tree and a menorah to mark the first night of Hanukkah.

“It is quite clear that if we can come together as a community and shine a little bit of light tonight, I think there's nothing better that we could be doing,” Smiley said.

Brown University cancelled exams and classes for the remainder of the year. On Sunday, the campus was largely deserted as light snow fell across the city.

Brown President Christina Paxson said that all or nearly all of the victims were students.

“This is the day one hopes never happens, and it has,” she said.

The attack was the latest of nearly 400 mass shootings in the United States this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. - December 15, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus