World

Zelenskiy returns to Berlin for renewed U.S. talks as Europe weighs Ukraine’s security future

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is resuming negotiations with envoys of U.S. President Donald Trump in Berlin amid claims of progress towards ending the war with Russia

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 15 Dec 2025 6:36PM

Zelenskiy returns to Berlin for renewed U.S. talks as Europe weighs Ukraine’s security future
Zelenskiy, US envoys, European leaders meet in Berlin with Ukraine willing to drop NATO bid for security guarantees - December 15, 2025

UKRAINIAN President Volodymyr Zelenskiy is set to resume talks in Berlin on Monday with envoys of U.S. President Donald Trump, after the American side said “a lot of progress” had been made towards ending Europe’s deadliest conflict since the Second World War.

Reuters reported on Monday that Zelenskiy will again meet U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, following five hours of talks on Sunday. The discussions are taking place alongside a flurry of meetings involving European leaders in the German capital.

Ukraine said on Sunday that it was prepared to abandon its long-held ambition to join the NATO alliance in exchange for Western security guarantees. However, it remained unclear how far negotiations had advanced on that issue or on other core questions, including the future of Ukrainian territory and the prospects of persuading Russia to accept a ceasefire.

The talks mark the start of a critical week for European diplomacy. An EU summit on Thursday is expected to decide whether the bloc can underwrite a massive loan to Ukraine using frozen Russian central bank assets.

Europe has come under sustained criticism from the Trump administration over migration policy, defence spending and regulation of major technology firms, with the European Union and national governments struggling to present a unified response.

EU foreign ministers were meeting in Brussels on Monday to discuss a new package of sanctions against Russia, though the prospect of a last-minute snag in negotiations over an EU trade deal with Latin America threatened to weaken efforts to project unity.

“We will continue to do everything we can to ensure that Ukraine can achieve the best possible negotiating position and, in the event of failure, that it has all the necessary means to retaliate against this war of aggression,” German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul told Deutschlandfunk radio.

Finnish President Alexander Stubb, who has played a prominent role in the diplomatic effort, struck a cautiously optimistic tone ahead of his meeting with Zelenskiy on Monday morning, prior to the renewed U.S. talks.

“I think we are at a critical moment in negotiations for peace,” Stubb told the Dutch television programme Buitenhof on Sunday.

“And at the same time, we’re probably closer to a peace agreement than we have been at any time during these four years,” he said. Stubb also met Kushner in Berlin on Sunday evening.

Stubb said negotiators were working on three main documents: a framework for a 20-point peace plan, a second text focused on security guarantees for Ukraine, and a third covering the country’s reconstruction.

“So we’re looking at the details together with the Americans, Europeans, and the Ukrainians,” he added.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and the leaders of Britain, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland and Sweden were among those expected to be in Berlin on Monday.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has repeatedly demanded that Ukraine formally renounce its NATO ambitions and withdraw its forces from roughly 10% of the eastern Donbas region that remains under Kyiv’s control. Moscow has also insisted that Ukraine adopt permanent neutrality and that no NATO troops be stationed on its territory.

Russian sources earlier this year said Putin wanted a “written” pledge from major Western powers not to expand the U.S.-led NATO alliance eastwards, effectively ruling out membership for Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova and other former Soviet republics.

EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas warned on Monday that conceding Donbas to Russia would not satisfy the Kremlin’s ambitions.

“We have to understand that if he gets Donbas, then the fortress is down and then they definitely move on to taking the whole of Ukraine,” Kallas, a former Estonian prime minister, told reporters.

“If Ukraine goes, then other regions are also in danger.” - December 15, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month