World

Brown Uni shooting: Authorities release new images, footage believed to show suspect

A widening manhunt is under way in Providence after a mass shooting at Brown University killed two students and wounded nine others, with attack being framed as part of a broader national issue

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 16 Dec 2025 8:54AM

Brown Uni shooting: Authorities release new images, footage believed to show suspect
Investigators zero in on suspect as FBI seeks public help - December 16, 2025

LAW enforcement agencies say they are making headway in the investigation into the deadly shooting at Brown University, as newly released photos and surveillance videos offer what officials describe as a crucial lead in identifying the gunman.

Providence Police Chief Oscar L. Perez Jr said investigators are focusing on footage captured at about 2pm on Saturday, several hours before the attack, showing an individual moving around areas near the campus.

“The FBI has since issued a description of the person, saying he is “approximately 5’8” with a stocky build,” and warning that he may still be armed and dangerous.

The shift in focus follows the release of an earlier person of interest who had been detained shortly after the shooting.

Providence Mayor Brett Smiley confirmed that the individual had been freed, while Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said the person had been fully cleared of any involvement.

The shooting has shaken the Ivy League institution, leaving two students dead and nine others injured. Brown University has cancelled classes and examinations, while heightened security remains in place as the campus community grapples with the aftermath of the violence.

Neronha said authorities are encouraged by the progress made so far and remain confident the suspect will be located.

“I’m confident,” he said in an interview with CNN’s Erin Burnett, describing the individual captured in the released footage as “a significant person of interest, possibly more than that.”

“Hopefully very quickly, we can get this person identified, detained, questioned if possible, but certainly he is our primary person of interest right now,” he said.

Addressing comments by President Donald Trump suggesting the university bore some responsibility for delays in identifying a suspect, Neronha strongly disagreed, framing the attack as part of a broader national issue.

“It’s not a Brown problem, it’s a national problem, a symptom that happened here in Rhode Island,” he said. “What we’re focused on here is solving this crime. It’s not Brown’s fault. It’s the fault of this gunman.”

Investigators have said the gunman “definitely” targeted Brown University and are working to retrace his movements before and after the shooting to establish a clearer timeline. Authorities have not confirmed whether the suspect remains in the Providence area.

Police have released multiple short video clips and still images showing the person of interest walking near fences, gates and pavements close to the campus. In the footage, the individual appears dressed in dark clothing and is seen wearing a face mask and a beanie.

As the search continues into its third day, Mayor Smiley sought to reassure residents, saying the city “remains very safe,” while confirming that police patrols around the university have been increased. An FBI team remains deployed on campus, and the bureau has announced a reward of up to US$50,000 for information leading to the suspect’s identification, arrest and conviction.

Officials have also cautioned against speculation, particularly on social media. Rhode Island Congressman Seth Magaziner urged the public to rely only on verified information from authorities.

“Unless there is official notification or official guidance, we shouldn’t be guessing or making assumptions about what the motive might have been or who the shooter might be,” he told CNN’s Jake Tapper.

“So, I would say, you know, follow those those regular press conferences from the local officials to get the real information, not the noise online,” he said. - December 16, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington