World

Border clash death toll rises to 40, including 24 civilians, displacing hundreds of thousands

More schools close as Cambodia and Thailand heavy fighting persists along border regions with some 700,000 people leaving their homes

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 16 Dec 2025 10:55AM

Border clash death toll rises to 40, including 24 civilians, displacing hundreds of thousands
Thai forces have also launched F-16 strikes against Cambodian military positions as fighting continues along the frontier ( Representational pic) - December 16, 2025

SCHOOLS across Cambodia and Thailand were forced to close on Monday as renewed border fighting between the two nations left at least 40 dead and displaced approximately 700,000 people, officials and local media reported.

Anadolu Agency today reported Cambodia’s Education Ministry saying that 1,039 schools across six provinces were shuttered, affecting 9,797 teachers and 242,881 students, according to local outlet Fresh News.

Cambodia’s Interior Ministry confirmed two more civilian deaths, raising the national toll to 15, with 73 others injured, and reported that Thai F-16 fighter jets had carried out airstrikes inside Cambodian territory, according to state-run Agence Kampuchea Presse.

Renewed fighting along the Cambodia-Thailand border has intensified, with Thai airstrikes reaching deep into Cambodian territory, displacing thousands of civilians and threatening the UNESCO World Heritage site of Angkor Wat.

Officials report that more than 700,000 people have fled their homes since the conflict escalated last week, while civilian and military casualties continue to rise on both sides.

Cambodian authorities reported that Thai fighter jets bombed at least ten locations across the border provinces of Oddar Meanchey, Banteay Meanchey, and Pursat.

The strikes also targeted areas near civilian shelters in Srei Snam, Siem Reap province, forcing hundreds of families who had already been displaced to flee further inland.

Cambodian Information Minister Neth Pheaktra described the attacks as the “furthest” incursion into Cambodian territory by Thai forces, more than 70 kilometres from the border and far from previously disputed areas. “This is the first time Thai forces have bombed the Siem Reap region,” he said.

In Thailand, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Nikorndej Balankura said Bangkok had formally appealed to the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights after nine Thai civilians were killed and over 600 schools and hospitals closed.

Thai forces have also launched F-16 strikes against Cambodian military positions as fighting continues along the frontier.

China expressed concern over the escalation, with Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun urging both nations to exercise maximum restraint.

“We are deeply saddened by the casualties inflicted on both sides and express heartfelt sympathies. Cambodia and Thailand are and will always be neighbours. The top priority now is to stop the fighting and protect civilians,” he said.

The renewed hostilities come despite a peace agreement signed in Kuala Lumpur in October under US and Malaysian supervision, which was suspended after Thai soldiers were injured in a landmine explosion.

Thai authorities say around 18 Cambodian soldiers remain in custody following incidents over the past five months.

The airstrikes and ongoing clashes have also affected Cambodia’s vital tourism sector. Thousands of displaced civilians are sheltering in temples, schools, and hastily established evacuation centres.

Angkor Enterprise reported declines in ticket sales to the Angkor archaeological park by at least 17 per cent year-on-year from June to November, while tourism arrivals along the Thai-Cambodian border have been cancelled or rerouted through Vietnam and Laos.

Thailand and Cambodia share a long-standing border dispute, with clashes in July leaving at least 48 people dead. Officials warn that the situation remains volatile, with civilians bearing the brunt of the conflict. - December 16, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen