World

Australian Prime Minister orders security review following Bondi mass shooting

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has directed a comprehensive review of police and intelligence services after a father and son allegedly killed 15 people in a shooting at Bondi Beach

Updated 8 months ago · Published on 21 Dec 2025 1:03PM

Australian Prime Minister orders security review following Bondi mass shooting
Authorities work to fend off further attacks reportedly inspired by DAESH extremist ideology after the shooting at the Hanukkah celebration - December 21, 2025

AUSTRALIAN Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced a full review of the nation’s police and intelligence services following a shocking mass shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney, which left 15 people dead.

The attack, which occurred during a Hanukkah celebration on 14 December, was allegedly carried out by a father and son motivated by extremist ideology.

AFP reported Albanese stating that his government would examine whether law enforcement and intelligence agencies have the necessary powers, structures, and information-sharing arrangements to adequately protect the public.

“The atrocity perpetrated by DAESH last Sunday underscores the rapidly changing security environment in our country. Our security agencies must be positioned to respond effectively,” he said.

The elder suspect, 50-year-old Sajid Akram, was shot dead by police during the attack. An Indian national who entered Australia on a visa in 1998, he is believed to have legally owned six rifles.

His son, 24-year-old Australian-born Naveed Akram, survived the incident and remains under police supervision in hospital. Naveed now faces multiple charges, including terrorism-related offences and 15 counts of murder.

Authorities revealed that Naveed had been investigated by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) in 2019 over potential radicalisation but was not deemed a threat at the time.

Sajid Akram was also questioned by intelligence agencies during the investigation but was nonetheless able to obtain firearm licenses.

In the weeks prior to the Bondi attack, the father and son returned to Sydney after a four-week trip to southern Philippines, which is now under investigation by both Philippine and Australian authorities.

Following the tragedy, Albanese acknowledged clear shortcomings within Australia’s intelligence services.

“We need to scrutinise exactly how the system operates. We need to look back at what happened in 2019 when these individuals were monitored and the assessments that were made,” he told the national broadcaster ABC.

When asked about the suspects’ travels to the Philippines, Albanese said the investigation would consider potential radicalisation during that period.

“However, the reality is that they were not considered persons of interest, and that is why this incident is so shocking,” he added.

The Prime Minister’s announcement signals an urgent review of the nation’s capacity to identify and prevent extremist threats, aiming to ensure that intelligence and policing mechanisms are robust enough to prevent such atrocities in the future. - December 21, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident