World

Philippine police trace Bondi Beach suspects’ movements during month-long stay in Davao

Authorities are retracing the movements and contacts of the two men behind the Bondi Beach shooting as investigations focus on their month-long stay in Davao

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 22 Dec 2025 8:58AM

Philippine police trace Bondi Beach suspects’ movements during month-long stay in Davao
Investigators stay cautions against premature conclusions over extremist links - December 22, 2025

PHILIPPINE police have launched a wide-ranging investigation to identify people who had contact with the two gunmen responsible for the Bondi Beach shooting during their month-long stay in Davao, a major city in the country’s south.

Brigadier-General Leon Victor Rosete, the regional police chief for Davao, said officers had begun “backtracking operations” to establish where the suspects went and whom they met while in the city.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported today that the two men, identified as Sajid Akram and his son Naveed, were reported by The New York Times to have met local Muslim religious leaders during their time in Davao.

However, Brig-Gen Rosete said investigators were still working to determine “who specifically they met in the area and what was discussed”.

Police are reviewing extensive security camera footage across the city, along with hotel records, travel documents and other intelligence material. Brig-Gen Rosete said the objective was to reconstruct the suspects’ activities and to identify any individuals they interacted with while “assessing possible links or support networks”.

Sajid and Naveed Akram were confirmed to have stayed for nearly a month at the GV Hotel in Davao before the attack in Sydney that left at least 15 people dead. According to hotel staff member Jenelyn Sayson, the pair rarely left their accommodation throughout their stay.

“They rarely went out of their hotel for the entire length of their stay, and their longest stay outside the hotel was between one and two hours,” she said.

Davao, the largest city on the island of Mindanao, sits in a region long affected by Islamist insurgencies, including groups that have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State. Initial intelligence shared by Australian counterterrorism authorities suggested the Akrams were inspired by ISIS and had travelled to the Philippines for training.

However, on Dec 17, the Philippine National Security Council said it was unable to confirm whether the two men had “received any form of training in the Philippines”.

The region has previously borne the impact of militancy. In 2016, a bomb attack at a popular night market in Davao killed at least 14 people, an incident later blamed on a small militant group seeking the attention of ISIS.

Amid growing speculation, the Climate Conflict Action Asia group urged restraint from both authorities and the public, warning against drawing hasty conclusions about the suspects’ links to Mindanao.

“Premature conclusions and speculations that lack evidence risk fuelling religious and identity-based conflict and may obscure the deeper and more complex drivers of violence and radicalisation,” the group said.

The investigation remains ongoing as Philippine authorities continue to cooperate with international partners to clarify the circumstances surrounding the suspects’ time in the country. - December 22, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren