World

Paris metro stabbing suspect arrested as attacks strike during year-end celebrations

French police have arrested a man suspected of stabbing three women at different stations along a central Paris metro line during the busy year-end period, heightening security concerns in the capital

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 27 Dec 2025 9:15AM

Paris metro stabbing suspect arrested as attacks strike during year-end celebrations
Police used closed-circuit television footage and mobile phone tracking technology to trace the suspect after the attacks (Photo form AP/Themba Hadebe) - December 27, 2025

FRENCH police have arrested a man suspected of carrying out a series of stabbings targeting three women on the Paris metro during the year-end festive period, prompting heightened security measures across the capital’s transport network.

The attacks occurred over a 30-minute window between 4.15pm and 4.45pm along Metro Line 3, which runs through central Paris.

According to RATP, the public authority that operates the city’s transport services, the victims were stabbed at three separate stations: Republique, Arts et Metiers and Opera, close to the busy Marais district.

“The victims immediately received treatment from emergency services,” AFP cited  authorities saying.

Investigators said police used closed-circuit television footage and mobile phone tracking technology to trace the suspect after the attacks. This led officers to the Val d’Oise region north of Paris.

“Tracking the location of his mobile phone led to the suspect’s arrest late in the afternoon in Val d’Oise,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

Following the stabbings, additional security personnel were deployed along the affected metro line to reassure passengers and enforce public safety.

European capitals, including Paris, remain on heightened alert during the year-end festive season amid memories of previous attacks and attempted acts of violence.

Last week, French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez urged senior officials to ensure maximum surveillance and a visible security presence to reduce the risk of terrorism and public disorder. - December 27, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation