World

Trump to press Netanyahu on stalled Gaza ceasefire as regional tensions loom

The U.S. President is expected to seek momentum on the faltering Gaza ceasefire when he meets Netanyahu, with talks set to address Israel’s security concerns over Hezbollah in Lebanon and Iran

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 29 Dec 2025 10:16AM

Trump to press Netanyahu on stalled Gaza ceasefire as regional tensions loom
Israeli leader expected to visit Mar-a-Lago as Gaza process stalled with difficult steps ahead - December 29, 2025

U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to push for progress on the stalled ceasefire in Gaza when he meets Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday, amid mounting concerns over the durability of truce arrangements across the region.

Reuters reported that Netanyahu said earlier this month that Trump had invited him for talks, as Washington seeks to advance plans for transitional governance and an international security force in Gaza.

Netanyahu is expected to visit Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, although the White House has yet to formally confirm the meeting and did not respond to a request for comment.

Trump has said he could meet the Israeli leader soon, while Netanyahu said on December 22 that discussions were expected to focus on the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire, as well as developments involving Iran and Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Washington has brokered ceasefires on all three fronts, but Israel remains wary that its adversaries could rebuild their military capabilities after suffering significant losses during the war.

Under Trump’s ceasefire framework, agreed by all sides in October, Israel is to withdraw from Gaza while Hamas is expected to give up its weapons and relinquish any governing role in the enclave.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last week that Washington wants the transitional administration outlined in the plan to be established soon. This would include a Board of Peace and a governing body of Palestinian technocrats to administer Gaza ahead of the deployment of an international security force mandated by a United Nations Security Council resolution passed on November 17.

Despite the agreement, Israel and Hamas have accused each other of serious violations and appear no closer to implementing the more difficult steps envisaged in the next phase. Hamas has refused to disarm and has not returned the remains of the last Israeli hostage, while Israeli forces remain entrenched in about half of Gaza’s territory. Hamas has also been reasserting its control on the ground.

Israel has warned that if Hamas does not disarm peacefully, it will resume military operations to compel it to do so.

Although large-scale fighting has subsided since the ceasefire took effect in October, violence has not ended entirely. Israeli strikes have killed more than 400 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to Gaza health officials, while Palestinian militants have killed three Israeli soldiers.

The ceasefire in Lebanon is also under strain. A US-backed truce reached in November 2024 ended more than a year of fighting between Israel and Hezbollah and called for the disarmament of the Iran-backed Shiite group, starting in areas south of the Litani River near Israel’s border.

Lebanon has said it is close to completing the disarmament process by the end-of-year deadline, but Hezbollah has resisted calls to surrender its weapons. Israel has described progress as partial and slow and has continued near-daily strikes in Lebanon, saying they are necessary to prevent Hezbollah from rebuilding its forces.

The talks between Trump and Netanyahu are expected to test whether Washington can inject fresh momentum into ceasefire efforts that remain fragile across Gaza and Lebanon, while broader regional tensions continue to simmer. - December 29, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren