World

United States pledges US$2 billion for UN humanitarian aid, amid cuts

Despite slashing overall foreign assistance, the Trump administration promises US$2 billion to UN humanitarian programmes

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 29 Dec 2025 6:25PM

United States pledges US$2 billion for UN humanitarian aid, amid cuts
Trump’s office demands reforms and consolidations across UN agencies to improve efficiency and accountability, to “adapt, shrink or die” - December 29, 2025

THE United States on Monday announced a $2 billion commitment to United Nations humanitarian programmes, even as President Donald Trump’s administration continues to cut overall foreign aid and urges UN agencies to “adapt, shrink or die” in response to new fiscal realities.

AP reported on Monday that although a fraction of historical contributions, the pledge is presented by U.S. officials as a generous amount that maintains the United States’ standing as the world’s largest humanitarian donor.

The funding will create an umbrella pool from which resources will be distributed to individual UN agencies and priorities, reflecting Washington’s demands for sweeping organisational reforms that have caused alarm among humanitarian workers and led to reductions in programmes and services.

According to UN data, U.S. contributions to UN-backed humanitarian programmes have reached as high as US$17 billion annually in recent years, though only US$8–10 billion came from voluntary contributions, with the remainder representing mandatory dues. Critics contend that cuts by Western donors have fuelled hunger, displacement, and disease worldwide, while diminishing U.S. soft power.

The pledge comes after a year of crisis for UN organisations such as its refugee, migration, and food aid agencies.

Cuts by the Trump administration have forced the reduction of projects, services, and staff, compounding the challenges posed by reduced support from other traditional Western donors.

The $2 billion will be channelled through the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), led by Tom Fletcher, a former British diplomat. Fletcher’s office, which launched a “humanitarian reset” last year to improve the efficiency and accountability of aid spending, will manage the distribution of funds rather than dispersing contributions across multiple appeals.

A senior State Department official explained that the plan aims to create “more consolidated leadership authority” in UN aid delivery. Fletcher and his office “are going to control the spigot” on how resources are allocated.

“This humanitarian reset at the United Nations should deliver more aid with fewer tax dollars — providing more focused, results-driven assistance aligned with U.S. foreign policy,” said U.S. Ambassador to the UN Michael Waltz.

The funding will initially target 17 countries, including Bangladesh, Congo, Haiti, Syria, and Ukraine, while Afghanistan and the Palestinian territories are excluded, pending separate allocations tied to Trump’s Gaza peace plan.

The State Department emphasised that the agreement requires UN agencies to consolidate humanitarian functions, reduce bureaucratic overhead, and avoid duplication. “Individual UN agencies will need to adapt, shrink, or die,” the department said.

Fletcher welcomed the deal, stating: “At a moment of immense global strain, the United States is demonstrating that it is a humanitarian superpower, offering hope to people who have lost everything.”

The initiative reflects Trump’s longstanding view that, while the UN has enormous potential, it has drifted from its original mandate, fostering inefficiency, ideological biases, and spending practices at odds with American interests.

The reform aims to establish funding pools directed to specific crises or countries in need, ensuring aid is more strategically and effectively deployed. - December 29, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident