World

UAE withdraws forces from Yemen amid rising tensions with Saudi Arabia

The UAE pulls out its troops from Yemen, ending what it called “counterterrorism” operations, following escalating disputes with Saudi Arabia and the Southern Transition Council over control of southern territories

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 31 Dec 2025 9:37AM

UAE withdraws forces from Yemen amid rising tensions with Saudi Arabia
Move comes after Riyadh accused Abu Dhabi of backing separatists in Yemen and bombed what it said was a Emirati-weapons shipment in the port of Mukalla - December 31, 2025

THE United Arab Emirates declared on Tuesday that it would withdraw its remaining forces from Yemen, bringing an end to what it described as counterterrorism operations in the country, in the wake of rising tensions with Saudi Arabia and the separatist Southern Transition Council (STC).

Aljazeera cite today that the announcement followed demands from Yemen’s internationally recognised government for the UAE to pull its troops within 24 hours, a call backed by Riyadh.

Hours earlier, Saudi-led coalition forces struck the southern port of Mukalla, targeting what the kingdom said was a UAE-linked weapons shipment intended for the STC.

The STC, which initially supported the government against Houthi rebels, has launched an offensive this month to secure an independent southern state.

Its advances have seized broad swathes of southern Yemen, including Hadramout and Mahara provinces, challenging both the Saudi-backed government and warnings from Riyadh.

Saudi Arabia has accused the UAE of supporting the STC, allegations Abu Dhabi denies. In a statement, the UAE Ministry of Defence said it had conducted a “comprehensive assessment” of its role in Yemen and would end its mission in a manner that prioritises the safety of its personnel.

“In light of recent developments and their potential implications for the safety and effectiveness of counterterrorism missions, the Ministry of Defence announces the termination of the remaining counterterrorism personnel in Yemen of its own volition, in a manner that ensures the safety of its personnel,” the statement said.

The withdrawal highlights a growing rift between the UAE and Saudi Arabia, once close allies in the coalition against the Houthi movement. Emirati forces first entered Yemen in 2015 but had already reduced their presence in 2019, leaving only a limited deployment in the south.

Following the Mukalla strike, Rashad al-Alimi, head of Yemen’s Saudi-backed presidential council, dissolved a defence pact with the UAE and ordered its forces to leave within 24 hours.

Al-Alimi said that it had been “definitively confirmed ‌that the UAE pressured and directed the STC to undermine and rebel against the authority of the state through military escalation,” according to Yemen’s state news agency.

Saudi Arabia issued a strong statement criticising Abu Dhabi, warning that the STC’s military actions in Hadramout and Mahara near the kingdom’s borders posed a direct threat to its national security.

“In this context, the kingdom stresses that any threat to its national security is a red line, and the Kingdom will not hesitate to take all necessary steps and measures to confront and neutralise any such threat,” Riyadh said.

The UAE expressed surprise at the strike, insisting that the shipments did not contain weapons and were intended for its forces, but called for a solution “that prevents escalation, based on reliable facts and existing coordination.”

Despite the mounting pressure, the STC has remained defiant. “It is unreasonable for the landowner to be asked to leave his own land. The situation requires staying and reinforcing,” STC spokesman Anwar al-Tamimi told AFP. “We are in a defensive position, and any movement toward our forces will be responded to by our forces.”

In response to the escalating situation, Yemeni authorities declared a 72-hour no-fly zone and imposed sea and land blockades on all ports and crossings.

The rapid developments mark a significant deterioration in relations between the UAE and Saudi Arabia and signal a new phase of uncertainty in southern Yemen. - December 31, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren