World

Swiss bar fire probe focuses on sparklers and ceiling materials after new year tragedy

Authorities in Switzerland are intensifying scrutiny of safety practices at a Crans-Montana bar with prosecutors saying the blaze likely began when sparklers were held too close to the ceiling

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 03 Jan 2026 8:49AM

Swiss bar fire probe focuses on sparklers and ceiling materials after new year tragedy
The fire started when sparkling “fountain candles” were brought too close to the ceiling during celebrations at the Le Constellation bar, from there, a rapid widespread blaze ensued (Photo from AP) - January 3, 2025

INVESTIGATORS Crans-Montana, Switzerland are focusing on the use of sparklers and interior materials as they examine the cause of a deadly fire that tore through a basement bar during New Year celebrations in the Swiss resort town of Crans-Montana, killing at least 40 people.

Reuters reported on Saturday Valais chief prosecutor Beatrice Pilloud saying preliminary findings suggest the fire started when sparkling “fountain candles” were brought too close to the ceiling during celebrations at the Le Constellation bar.

“From there, a rapid, very rapid and widespread blaze ensued,” she said on Friday, adding that further investigations would determine whether criminal liability arises from the incident.

Witnesses told investigators they saw staff carrying sparklers placed on bottles of champagne shortly before the fire erupted. Questions have also been raised about a foam material used to soundproof the ceiling of the basement dance floor, where revellers had gathered.

Although police arrived swiftly, the intensity of the blaze caused severe burns, complicating identification efforts. Investigators said it would take several days to formally identify all the victims.

So far, only one victim has been officially named: teenage Italian international golfer Emanuele Galeppini. Two people familiar with the investigation said some of those killed may have been under the age of 16.

Local residents described Le Constellation as a popular venue among young people. Swiss authorities said many of those who died were likely youths, noting that beer and wine can legally be consumed from the age of 16 in Switzerland.

One of the bar’s owners, Jacques Moretti, told Tribune de Genève that the premises had been inspected three times over the past decade and that “everything was done according to the rules”. Reuters said it was not immediately able to reach the bar’s owners for comment.

Stephane Ganzer, Valais’ head of security, said the investigation would assess whether the bar had undergone its required annual building inspections. He added that the town itself had not raised concerns or reported defects to cantonal authorities.

As investigations continued, residents gathered near the cordoned-off site to lay flowers and pay tribute to the victims, even as police began reopening parts of the area surrounding the bar in the centre of the affluent mountain town.

Ashley Hauri, 23, said she had almost gone to Le Constellation on the night of the fire to meet friends but decided not to at the last moment. Six of her former colleagues, aged from their 20s to their 40s, were inside when the blaze broke out.

Two of them were hospitalised, while four remain missing.

“I was really shocked,” Hauri said. “But I had no answers, and I was really scared and panicked because I wanted to do something.”

As the community mourns, authorities say the investigation will determine whether failures in oversight, safety measures or inspections contributed to one of Switzerland’s deadliest nightclub fires in recent memory. - January 3, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran