World

North Korea says nuclear forces ready for war after tests run on hypersonic missiles

The North Korean leader supervised the test-firing of what Pyongyang describes as advanced hypersonic missiles, warning escalating “geopolitical crisis

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 05 Jan 2026 3:57PM

North Korea says nuclear forces ready for war after tests run on hypersonic missiles
Kim says worsening global tensions have accelerated the need to prepare the country’s nuclear forces for war in an apparent response to the United States’ capture of Venezuela’s leader - January 5, 2025

NORTH Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un oversaw the test-firing of what state media described as “cutting-edge” hypersonic missiles on January 4, declaring that worsening global tensions have accelerated the need to prepare the country’s nuclear forces for war.

The test, reported by the Korean Central News Agency on January 5, came against the backdrop of heightened international instability, with Kim making an apparent reference to the United States’ weekend military operation that resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

On January 5, KCNA quoted Kim as saying the launch demonstrated “the readiness of the DPRK’s nuclear forces”, referring to North Korea by its official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

“Important achievements have been recently made in putting our nuclear forces on a practical basis and preparing them for an actual war,” AFP quoted Kim saying.

Kim said the missile programme was “aimed at gradually putting the nuclear war deterrent on a high-developed basis”.

Seoul and Tokyo said on January 4 that they had detected the launch of two ballistic missiles from near Pyongyang, marking North Korea’s first weapons test of the year.

The launch took place just hours before South Korean President Lee Jae Myung departed for Beijing for a summit with Chinese leaders.

Lee has said he hopes to use the visit to leverage China’s influence over North Korea in an effort to improve relations between Seoul and Pyongyang.

State media images released after the test showed Kim smoking a cigarette as he observed the launch alongside senior officials, with a missile streaking into the early morning sky.

KCNA quoted Kim as saying, “Why it is necessary is exemplified by the recent geopolitical crisis and complicated international events,” a statement widely interpreted as referring to Washington’s capture of President Maduro.

North Korea has condemned the operation as a “serious encroachment of sovereignty” that “clearly confirms once again the rogue and brutal nature of the US”.

The raid has amplified long-standing fears within Pyongyang of a so-called “decapitation strike”, a scenario in which foreign forces attempt to remove the country’s leadership. North Korea has repeatedly accused Washington of pursuing regime change.

For decades, Pyongyang has justified its nuclear and missile programmes as a deterrent against such threats.

The January 4 launch “can be interpreted as a message signalling that Pyongyang possesses a war deterrent and nuclear capabilities, unlike Venezuela”, said Hong Min, an analyst at the Seoul-based Korea Institute for National Unification.

He pointed to state media reports that Kim had visited a facility involved in the production of tactical guided weapons, saying this “demonstrated a capability to launch more precise strikes than existing multiple rocket launchers from various platforms, including air and ground”.

North Korea first tested its new hypersonic missile system in October last year. Hypersonic missiles travel at more than five times the speed of sound and are capable of manoeuvring mid-flight, making them significantly harder to track and intercept.

Such weapons have been used with devastating effect in 2025 by Russia in Ukraine, and by Iran against Israel. North Korea has deepened ties with both countries in recent years.

South Korea’s military said the missiles launched on January 4 landed in the Sea of Japan, adding that it had detected “several projectiles, presumed to be ballistic missiles” fired at around 7.50am local time.

KCNA did not specify the exact number of missiles launched but said they “hit the targets 1,000km away” in the Sea of Japan. - January 5, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus