World

Singapore suspends sale of select Nestlé infant formula amid contamination concerns

Singaporean authorities have ordered retailers to halt the sale of five batches of Nestlé NAN infant and follow-on formula after overseas food safety agencies flagged a potential contamination risk

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 09 Jan 2026 12:16PM

Singapore suspends sale of select Nestlé infant formula amid contamination concerns
Authorities say infants are particularly susceptible to complications and noted that no international standards currently exist for acceptable levels of cereulide in infant formula - January 9, 2025

THE Singapore Food Agency (SFA) and the Communicable Diseases Agency (CDA) issued a joint statement confirming that the suspension is a precautionary measure while investigations are ongoing.

“There have been no confirmed cases of illness related to the consumption of the affected Nestlé infant formula in Singapore so far,” the agencies stated.

The alert comes after the European Commission Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed and the International Food Safety Authorities Network notified authorities of recalls of the same products in other countries.

The affected batches, all manufactured in Switzerland, include NAN HA 3 SupremePro (53030017C1 and 53030017B1), NAN HA 2 SupremePro (51420017C4), and NAN HA 1 SupremePro (51460017C2 and 51470017C1).

Cereulide, a toxin produced by certain strains of Bacillus cereus bacteria, can provoke nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and diarrhoea, with symptoms typically arising between 30 minutes and six hours after ingestion.

The SFA and CDA emphasised that infants are particularly susceptible to complications and noted that no international standards currently exist for acceptable levels of cereulide in infant formula or other foods.

CDA is actively monitoring hospitals for potential cases of cereulide poisoning in children and is collaborating closely with SFA as investigations continue.

“Consumers who have purchased the affected products are advised not to feed them to their children,” the agencies added, urging parents to seek medical attention promptly if their children become unwell.

A spokesperson for Nestlé Singapore told CNA that the company had reviewed all stocks and identified two batches requiring additional scrutiny. Subsequent laboratory tests, however, confirmed that these were safe for consumption.

“We also confirm that all other products sold by Nestlé Singapore are safe,” the spokesperson said, adding that the company is working with SFA to provide full transparency on the situation.

The initial recall was issued in Europe, but the alert has since spread to countries across Africa, the Americas and Asia. Health warnings have been issued in at least 37 nations, including most European countries, Australia, Brazil, China, Mexico and South Africa, though no illnesses linked to the batches have been reported.

Nestlé explained that it had tested all arachidonic acid oil and related oil mixtures used in the potentially affected products after identifying a quality issue in an ingredient supplied by a major vendor.

The company is increasing production and engaging alternative suppliers to maintain the supply of its infant formula. - January 9, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran