World

Jeju Air crash might have been survivable without runway concrete barrier - Report

A commissioned analysis into the December 2024 Jeju Air disaster suggests nearly all 179 victims could have survived if a concrete structure at the end of the runway had not been in place

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 09 Jan 2026 3:31PM

Jeju Air crash might have been survivable without runway concrete barrier - Report
Findings intensify pressure on authorities over alleged safety failures and delays in disclosure - January 9, 2025

A SOUTH Korean government-commissioned report has found that the Jeju Air crash in December 2024, which killed 179 of the 181 people on board, might not have been fatal had a concrete mound not been positioned at the end of the runway, according to an opposition lawmaker.

The Boeing 737-800, operated by Jeju Air, was flying from Bangkok when it belly-landed at Muan International Airport after suffering bird strikes.

The aircraft overran the runway and struck a concrete support structure for a localiser antenna, killing almost everyone on board. Only two flight attendants seated at the far rear of the aircraft survived.

Reuters reported today that a simulation included in the report, which was commissioned by the government-led Aviation and Railway Accident Investigation Board, indicated that all passengers and crew might have survived if the concrete structure had not been present, Kim Eun-hye, a member of a bipartisan parliamentary special committee investigating the accident, said in a press release on Thursday.

According to the release, the simulation was carried out by a South Korean structural engineering institute and found that the aircraft’s initial impact with the runway was not strong enough to cause severe injuries.

The analysis showed the plane would have slid approximately 770 metres before coming to a stop if it had not collided with the barrier.

The report also concluded that if the navigation facility had been supported by a breakable structure, rather than a solid concrete mound, the aircraft could have broken through a fence with only minor injuries, Kim said.

Kim’s office declined to release the full report. Korea Airports Corp, which operates Muan International Airport, said it could not comment until the final investigation findings are published.

The Aviation and Railway Accident Investigation Board did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Kim said the disaster reflected years of government negligence, dating back to 1999 when the concrete structure was built. She said it was left in place despite violating regulations and being flagged as unsafe.

Her comments come as families of the victims and opposition politicians increase pressure on authorities to provide full accountability.

They have accused investigators of delaying the release of key analysis and failing to address whether the design of airport infrastructure played a decisive role in the high death toll.

The report cited by Kim does not represent a final official conclusion on the cause of the accident. Authorities have yet to publish a full investigative report and have already missed a one-year deadline to release an interim progress update.

Muan International Airport has remained closed since the crash and is not expected to reopen until April.

A representative of the victims’ family association told Reuters that the report was “solid proof that the disaster was man-made” and said families were demanding an apology from the investigation board for concealing the information.

In a preliminary report released in January last year, investigators said both of the aircraft’s engines had sustained bird strikes. In a subsequent update in July, which was not made public due to objections from victims’ families, investigators said the pilots shut down the less-damaged engine following the bird strikes. - January 9, 2025

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen