World

US, allies launch large-scale strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria

The United States and allied forces carried out extensive air strikes across Syria against Islamic State targets on Jan 10

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 11 Jan 2026 8:27AM

US, allies launch large-scale strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria
The strike marks a renewed military response to a December attack that killed two U.S. soldiers and a civilian interpreter - January 11, 2026

THE United States, together with allied forces, launched what it described as “large-scale” strikes against the Islamic State militant group across Syria on Jan 10, in retaliation for a deadly attack last month that claimed the lives of three Americans.

AFP reported on Sunday that the U.S. Central Command said the strikes were conducted under Operation Hawkeye Strike and targeted Islamic State positions throughout Syria.

The operation was launched following a Dec 13 attack in Palmyra that killed two US soldiers and a US civilian interpreter.

“The strikes today targeted ISIS throughout Syria” and were carried out “in direct response to the deadly ISIS attack on US and Syrian forces in Palmyra,” Central Command said in a statement posted on X, using the acronym for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Washington said the Dec 13 assault was carried out by a lone gunman affiliated with the militant group.

The attack occurred in Palmyra, a city known for its UNESCO-listed ancient ruins and once a stronghold of Islamic State fighters.

The latest strikes follow an earlier round of attacks in December, when the United States and Jordan jointly targeted dozens of Islamic State positions as part of the same operation.

The Palmyra incident marked the first deadly attack on US personnel in Syria since the overthrow of longtime Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad in December 2024.

At the time of the attack, US personnel were supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the international coalition campaign aimed at defeating the Islamic State. The militant group had seized large areas of Syria and Iraq in 2014 before being pushed back by local ground forces with the support of international air power.

Although the group was territorially defeated, it continues to maintain a presence in Syria, particularly in remote desert regions where cells remain active.

US President Donald Trump has previously expressed scepticism about the continued presence of American troops in Syria. During his first term, he ordered a withdrawal, though US forces ultimately remained in the country.

In April, the Pentagon announced plans to halve the number of US troops stationed in Syria in the coming months. In June, US envoy for Syria Tom Barrack said Washington would eventually consolidate its military footprint in the country to a single base. - January 11, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit