World

U.S. moves personnel amid Iran unrest as threat of military action looms

U.S. withdraws some personnel from Middle Eastern bases amid escalating tensions in Iran, following warnings from Tehran that American facilities would be targeted if Washington intervenes

Updated 7 months ago · Published on 15 Jan 2026 10:20AM

U.S. moves personnel amid Iran unrest as threat of military action looms
President Donald Trump indicated a cautious approach while claiming the crackdown on protesters may be easing - January 15, 2026

THE United States has begun withdrawing select personnel from key bases in the Middle East as tensions soar over Iran’s intensifying domestic unrest, according to a U.S. official speaking on Wednesday.

Reuters reported on Thursday that the precautionary measures follow warnings from Tehran that American facilities in the region would be targeted if Washington strikes, amid ongoing anti-government protests described as the most severe in the Islamic Republic’s history.

A Western military official told Reuters that “all the signals are that a U.S. attack is imminent, but that is also how this administration behaves to keep everyone on their toes. Unpredictability is part of the strategy.”

Despite these warnings, President Donald Trump suggested a measured stance, stating that he believes killings during the regime’s crackdown are subsiding.

“We are going to watch what the process is,” Trump said, adding that his administration had received a “very good statement” from Iran. He indicated the possibility of military action remained, but no immediate strike had been planned.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi reinforced this stance, telling Fox News that “there is no plan for hanging at all.

Hanging is out of the question,” addressing concerns over executions of protesters. Nevertheless, human rights organisations report that hundreds of demonstrators have been killed, with figures ranging from 2,000 to over 2,600.

The unrest, triggered by economic hardships, has been met with what French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot described as “the most violent repression in Iran’s contemporary history.”

U.S. bases in the region, including the Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar and the Fifth Fleet headquarters in Bahrain, have been subject to drawdowns. Officials in Qatar confirmed that personnel reductions were “being undertaken in response to the current regional tensions.”

Additional withdrawals have reportedly occurred at British facilities in Qatar, although the Ministry of Defence declined to comment.

A senior Iranian official, speaking anonymously, said Tehran had alerted neighbouring states, including Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Turkey, that U.S. bases would be targeted if American military action is taken.

Direct contacts between Iranian Foreign Minister Araqchi and U.S. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff have been suspended.

Despite the unrest, a Western official assessed that Iran’s security apparatus remains in control and that the government does not appear to be on the verge of collapse.

Iranian authorities have sought to demonstrate continued public support, broadcasting state television footage of large funeral processions in Tehran, Isfahan, Bushehr and other cities, with crowds waving flags, images of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and anti-riot slogans.

The United States has repeatedly threatened to intervene in support of protesters, with President Trump promising “very strong action” if executions of demonstrators occur.

However, the timing and scope of any potential intervention remain unclear, with European and Israeli officials expressing uncertainty over the next steps.

Amid the crisis, the flow of information from inside Iran has been limited due to an internet blackout, complicating efforts to verify casualties and gauge the situation on the ground.

The unrest comes at a moment of heightened regional tension, with the Iranian government still recovering from the economic and military setbacks imposed by renewed U.N. sanctions and previous Israeli and U.S. military operations. - January 15, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

Harry and Meghan reportedly set for extended return to Britain, six years after royal exit

World

US debt surges past US$40 trillion as Trump presses for lower interest rates

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran