World

Yemen airport blasts kill 26 as govt plane arrives

No ministers hurt, but casualty toll feared to rise

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Dec 2020 9:30AM

Yemen airport blasts kill 26 as govt plane arrives
Video footage appears to show missile-like ordnance striking the apron of Yemen’s Aden airport, which moments before had been packed with crowds, and exploding into a ball of intense flames. – AFP pic, December 31, 2020

ADEN – At least 26 people were killed yesterday as explosions rocked Yemen’s Aden airport moments after a new unity government flew in, in what some officials charged was a “cowardly” attack by Iran-backed Huthi rebels.

Although all government ministers were reported to be unharmed, more than 50 people were wounded, medical and government sources said in the southern city, with the casualty toll feared likely to rise.

Doctors Without Borders said it was preparing a “mass casualty medical response plan”.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said one of its employees was among those confirmed dead and “two others are unaccounted for and three were injured”.

As smoke billowed out of the airport terminal from an initial blast, with debris strewn across the area and people rushing to tend to the wounded, a second explosion took place. 

Video footage appears to show missile-like ordnance striking the airport apron, which moments before had been packed with crowds, and exploding into a ball of intense flames. 

It was not immediately clear what had caused the explosions.

Yesterday evening, an explosion was heard near the presidential palace here. 

The Saudi-led coalition said: “A Huthi drone which attempted to target Al-Masheeq Palace was... shot down.”

Yemen’s internationally recognised government and southern separatists formed a power-sharing cabinet on December 18, forging a joint front against the Huthi rebels who have seized Sanaa and much of the country’s north.

“Too soon” to lay blame

Information Minister Moammar al-Eryani said all members of the new government had escaped unharmed from the blast, which he blamed on the Huthi rebels.

“We assure you that the cowardly terrorist attack by the Iran-supported Huthi militia will not deter us from carrying out our patriotic duty,” he tweeted.

Foreign Minister Ahmed Mubarak also blamed the rebels, but President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi held back. 

“The terrorist acts perpetrated by the Iranian-backed Huthi militia and extremist terrorist groups will not discourage the legitimate government from exercising their duties,” Hadi said, without specifying who he held responsible for the airport attack.

Government spokesman Rajih Badi called for an international investigation.

“It is too soon to accuse any party before an investigation reveals who executed the attack, including (accusing) the Huthis,” he said, adding that among the casualties were civilians, security guards and local officials. – AFP, December 31, 2020

Related News

Opinion / 4mth

In a fractured world, Malaysia must remember who we are

Malaysia / 4mth

Domestic medicine supply remains stable and under control – MOH

Opinion / 5mth

Middle East conflict: Most powerful weapon is the disruption of economic stability

Malaysia / 5mth

PPC closely monitoring global shipping conditions amidst escalating tensions in Middle East

Malaysia / 5mth

Middle East conflict: RON95 price under control - PM Anwar

Opinion / 5mth

US-Israel - lighting the fuse for a Middle Eastern explosion

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear weapons

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran