World

37 Syria soldiers killed in IS ambush

It’s one of the deadliest attacks since fall of jihadists’ ‘caliphate’ in March last year, says war monitor

Updated 5 years ago · Published on 31 Dec 2020 5:30PM

37 Syria soldiers killed in IS ambush
IS was overcome in Syria in March last year, but sleeper cells continue to launch attacks, namely in the vast desert that stretches from the central province of Homs to Deir Ezzor and the border with Iraq. – AFP file pic, December 31, 2020

BEIRUT – Islamic State jihadists killed 37 soldiers when they ambushed a bus yesterday in one of the deadliest attacks since the fall of their “caliphate” last year, said a monitor.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attack in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor targeted regime soldiers as they travelled home for the holidays.

The official Sana news agency reported that a “terrorist attack” on a bus killed “25 citizens” and wounded 13.

IS overran large parts of Syria and Iraq, and proclaimed a cross-border “caliphate”, in 2014, before multiple offensives in the two countries led to its territorial defeat.

The group was overcome in Syria in March last year, but sleeper cells continue to launch attacks, namely in the vast desert that stretches from the central province of Homs to Deir Ezzor and the border with Iraq.

“It was one of the deadliest attacks since the fall of the IS (self-proclaimed) caliphate” last year, Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP, referring to yesterday’s ambush.

He said the bus was attacked near the village of Shula by jihadists who detonated roadside bombs before opening fire on the soldiers from the army’s 4th Division.

At least 37 troops were killed, including eight officers, and 12 others wounded, said the war monitor in an updated toll, adding that some of those injured are in “critical condition”.

Two other buses that were part of the convoy managed to escape, it said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.

In December 2017, Iraq’s then prime minister, Haider al-Abadi, announced a final victory against IS, and the group lost the last shred of its so-called caliphate in Syria in March last year.

But, sleeper cells have retained their ability to strike despite losing the territory they once held in both Iraq and Syria, operating mostly in the desert between the two countries.

In recent months, Syria’s Badia desert has been the scene of regular clashes between the jihadists and Russian-backed regime forces.

In April, 27 fighters loyal to the Damascus government and allied Iran-backed militiamen were killed in an IS attack near the desert city of Al-Sukhna, which is under regime control.

The war in Syria has killed more than 387,000 people since it started in 2011, said the Observatory.

The dead include more than 130,500 pro-government fighters, among them foreigners.

And since March 2019, more than 1,300 Syrian soldiers and allied pro-Iranian militiamen, and over 600 IS fighters, have died, said the monitor. – AFP, December 31, 2020

Related News

Malaysia / 1y

Mahar calls for urgent global action amid worsening crises in Syria, Gaza

Malaysia / 1y

Anwar calls for peaceful power transition in Syria

World / 2y

Russia’s FSB nabs suspects in deadly Moscow concert attack after IS claims responsibility

World / 3y

Philippine troops kill alleged SEA IS leader

Places / 3y

Iraqi museum damaged by IS works toward reopening

World / 3y

Taliban killed IS ‘mastermind’ behind Kabul airport blast: White House

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

Trump says ‘extraordinary’ US growth can tackle US$40 trillion debt

World

Sydney Airport faces fourth air traffic control incident in a month

World

Trump threatens ‘tremendous’ economic consequences for countries giving Iran a lifeline

World

Türkiye seeks Interpol notice for Netanyahu’s arrest

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Iran claims stronger hand as Pezeshkian calls for end to West Asia war