World

Philippine ferry sinks off Basilan, at least 15 feared dead as rescue continues

A late-night ferry disaster off the southern Philippines left at least 15 people dead after an inter-island vessel sank near Basilan

Updated 6 months ago · Published on 26 Jan 2026 1:46PM

Philippine ferry sinks off Basilan, at least 15 feared dead as rescue continues
Hundreds rescued in a large-scale overnight operation involving the coast guard, military and local fishermen - January 26, 2026

A PASSENGER and cargo ferry carrying more than 350 people sank shortly after midnight near an island in the southern Philippines, leaving at least 15 people dead while hundreds of others were pulled to safety, according to Philippine coast guard and provincial officials.

Ap reported today that the M/V Trisha Kerstin 3 was en route from the port city of Zamboanga to Jolo Island in Sulu province when it encountered what authorities described as apparent technical problems before going down at sea.

The vessel was carrying 332 passengers and 27 crew members at the time of the incident.

The ferry sank in calm weather about one nautical mile, or nearly two kilometres, from the coastal village of Baluk-baluk in Basilan province. Many of the survivors were initially taken ashore there, according to coast guard commander Romel Dua.

“There was a coast guard safety officer on board and he was the first to call and alert us to deploy rescue vessels,” Dua told The Associated Press, adding that the officer survived the sinking.

Search and rescue operations were immediately launched, involving coast guard and navy ships, a surveillance aircraft, an air force Black Hawk helicopter and numerous fishing boats from nearby communities.

The operation continued through the night as rescuers scoured the waters off Basilan for survivors and victims.

Basilan governor Mujiv Hataman said some of the rescued passengers and recovered bodies were brought to Isabela City, the provincial capital, where emergency teams were standing by.

“I’m receiving 37 people here in the pier. Unfortunately, two are dead,” Hataman told The Associated Press (AP) by phone from the Isabela pier.

By Monday, the coast guard confirmed that at least 316 passengers had been rescued, while 15 bodies had been recovered. Authorities cautioned that the death toll could rise as search efforts continued.

The exact cause of the sinking has yet to be determined and will be the subject of a formal investigation, Dua said. He added that the ferry had been cleared by the coast guard prior to departure from Zamboanga and that there were no indications the vessel was overloaded.

Maritime accidents remain a persistent problem in the Philippines, an archipelago of more than 7,000 islands, where ferries are a vital mode of transport.

Such incidents are often linked to poor vessel maintenance, overcrowding, weak enforcement of safety regulations and hazardous weather, particularly in remote areas.

The country’s deadliest maritime disaster occurred in December 1987, when the ferry Dona Paz collided with a fuel tanker in central Philippine waters, killing more than 4,300 people in what remains the world’s worst peacetime maritime tragedy. - January 26, 2026

Spotlight

Malaysia

RM245m Penang Hill cable car project 32 per cent complete - CM

By Ian McIntyre

Malaysia

Six locals charged over alleged kidnapping of Singaporean couple in Johor

Malaysia

PM: No political, racial or religious shield for those found guilty in TH, Felda probes

Malaysia

Singapore security guard jailed 14 days, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam

Health

Dengue cases soar 56% to 58,079 as nation records 55 deaths

Malaysia

NGOs urge BERSAMA to put Indian community agenda on political radar

By Alfian Z.M. Tahir

Health

MOH warns seniors against unproven hydrogen inhalers

Malaysia

Former Tabung Haji CEO remanded seven days as MACC RCI probe deepens

Malaysia

21 held in KLIA-Nilai crackdown on alleged online love scam syndicate

You may be interested

World

Singapore caregiver jailed nearly 10 years, caned eight strokes for torturing schoolchildren

World

Fei-Fei Li warns US AI backlash could undermine global leadership and innovation

World

China-Indonesia talks put South China Sea, defence and investment in focus

World

Iran’s two-pronged strategy: The eradication of US forces in the Gulf and political defeat in Washington

World

Former Singapore president now thinks twice about patting children after Roxy Square incident

World

US threatens ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran

World

UAE suspends all trade with Iran after renewed missile fire, deepening Tehran’s isolation

World

China expands Philippine sea presence as Japan-Philippines maritime ties deepen